Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 09-30-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Joan
You can buy the hexagons from:

http://www.paperpieces.com

The paper is heavy and it's worth the cost. Making GMFG is a big job and there is no way I would spend time making a million little hexagons. They provide quick delivery, too, I highly recomend them. (and they have lots of sizes, too)
Bingo!!! I used 1" hexies and rotary cut squares from jelly rolls...and off you go to the basting and sewing part...which could take a while, a long while. :)
Old 09-30-2011, 02:53 PM

[quote=Mo_Chride]I am working on a GFG. I have been doing EPP by hand. I am using 1" hexies and it will EVENTUALLY be a queen sized quilt. It takes almost 6,000 hexies! I printed out the hexie template from here:

Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Wow-what beautiful colors-I started my first attempt at GMFQ in February-and I have all my flowers and I am in the process of choosing the joining color. I was set on white until I saw how the black makes the colors pop! I am rethinking my color choice. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
I am working on a GFG. I have been doing EPP by hand. I am using 1" hexies and it will EVENTUALLY be a queen sized quilt. It takes almost 6,000 hexies! I printed out the hexie template from here:

http://www.kathykwylie.com/1%20Inch%...0Templates.pdf

onto cardstock and then cut them out. I cut my fabric into 2.5" squares with my rotary cutter and basted the fabric onto the cardstock hexie and then whip stitched them together. My first day of basting was around the 22ish of May but I had one more day of hexie cutting and one more day of fabric cutting left. I had already cut most of my fabric, many hexies and done all the planning.

I do also have a 6.5yo boy and a 4yo girl so I sew in moments here and there, not nearly as much as some ladies here do. On "good" weeks, I can get five complete flowers, with pathways and attach them onto the quilt. On "bad" weeks, less to none. After 4.5 flowers down and almost the full width of the queen quilt, some of my hexies are pretty rough so I am ready to print off some more and do a couple of days of hexie cutting. In May I thought I might get finished by Christmas. Now I am still hoping for Christmas but 2012 instead of 2011! LOL

This is the last good shot I expect to get before the snow falls here. After this I will have to do indoor shots which are never as good. I did wonder about the boredom factor as well but I have found it rather addicting and love the portability of it. I always have a small bag with me for stitching a hexie or two while waiting on this or that, watching children's swim lessons, etc.
VERY interesting color selection. I would have never have thought of it. It is great being a bit different. The Black background really does pop the colors. GREAT JOB !!!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 PM

I too use Accuquilt!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:18 AM

[quote=luvspaper]I think it is www.paperpieces.com that sells them precut. They come in different sizes.

I use the ones from paperpieces all the time. They can be used several times. I also use the machine to baste each edge using a very long stitch. This speeds up the process and lets me spend more time actually putting the "flowers" together. Tweezers work well to pull out the basting threads.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:24 AM

I tried the stamps by Kate too. Saves a lot of time and is fun! www.bykate.com.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:47 AM

Try: paperpieces.com
They have lots of paper peicing info.

Originally Posted by jlynnbach
I am planning on doing a GFG for my granddaugher for christmas. It took me two days to map out the layout. Boy was that a challenge for the eyes. I finally got a layout that I liked and started counting how many hexagons of each color I need. I need a little of 800 2 1/2" hexagons. Any suggestions on how to quickly and accurately cut that many? Please HELP.