Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 09-30-2011, 07:32 AM

I just purchased a multi-sized hexagon ruler by EZ Quliting, and make used all those magazine renewal cards that are stuck in magazines for the paper templates and just hand-drew them 1/2" smaller than my fabric hexes and cut them out. Probably not the best use of my time, but I found the mindlessness of the exercise very theraputic - plus it was free! Then punched a hole in the center to make taking them out of the completed hex easier. Each one can be used a few times. Then cut my fabric in strips, and using my new ruler, only had to cut with my rotary cutter - cutting 4-6 strips at a time into hexs. I love the portability - I posted some pictures about 5 months ago on how I packed the "kit" with all the stuff I needed for my travels. I wouldn't travel without it!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:37 AM

If you go to Inklingo.com, you will discover how easy it is to print the hexagon shapes directly onto the back of your fabric, cut the shapes out using either rotary cutter or scissors and then hand or machine stitch. You don't have to baste the GFG templates to fabric, then whipstitch the shapes together. I have no patience for whipstitching and find this the easiest way. I've used Inklingo for a number of projects and highly recommend it. (No affiliation).
Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 AM

GemState and humbird. thank you for your kind comments regarding my quilt. I don't really know many quilters IRL so I don't get much feedback on what I do. That is one reason I like this board so much. I have been posting a picture of that quilt every couple of months or so when I start lagging on it and feedback gets me remotivated on it again.

I will admit that the colours were not my original idea. I decided to do a GFG back in about March/April when I was looking for a handpieced quilt idea and someone on here posted about one. They had done the flowers while sitting with their husband during chemo treatments and now that the treatments were done couldn't face it anymore but it got me looking. In searching out GFG quilts I saw one someone had done that was in the style that I did. It had a black pathway and then gemtone flowers. I LOVED it so decided to do one like it. I can't remember where I saw it though or I would give credit to them.

I have found the handpiecing so addicting though that I am keeping my eyes out for more handpieced quilts so that I can do another one after this!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 AM

I know it's no help for now, but the way I do it is to cut a few hexies at a timw when I get a few minutes here or there. I keep them sorted by color, so whenever I get ready to sew they are ready.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM

I am using the Marti Michell templates and love them. I have the "H" set and the new 2 1/2" stripper set. The stripper set is great because you can use Jelly Rolls. They are really fast to cut out. I then have my paper pieces downloaded free from the internet and sew around them.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 AM

I am working on one as well right now. I bought my hexies from Connecting Threads. They did have them on sale for a great price.

I too cut squares with a rotary cutter and then snipped off the corners.

HTH!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:29 AM

WOW !!!! Just the video and the Starmaker 6 measurements that I need. THANKS !!

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
Originally Posted by jlynnbach
I am planning on doing a GFG for my granddaugher for christmas. It took me two days to map out the layout. Boy was that a challenge for the eyes. I finally got a layout that I liked and started counting how many hexagons of each color I need. I need a little of 800 2 1/2" hexagons. Any suggestions on how to quickly and accurately cut that many? Please HELP.
Hello from another Oregonian!
Whew, that's a lot of hexagons!

Kaye Wood has a video about cutting and sewing hexagons. http://kayewoodtv.com/?dlink=true&chn=&vid=# Click on Kaye's Quick Tips and then scroll through the videos to Hexagons Cut and Sew

She is using her Starmaker 6 ruler. Which I have, to bad we are not closer, (I'm south of Eugene) I could loan it to you. But I did go into my sewing room and checked the Starmaker 6 and my 60 degree ruler.... they are the same size. So you should be able to use the same principles to make the hexagons.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Hi-Just the other day I watched the lates SWN show and she demos GFG with half hexagon strips. They are larger too. I'd check that out. Much faster and still looks lovely. you make strips from a half hex template and then make strips. You put the strips together and the halves make a hex. You can barely see the seam. Worth checking out.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Kas

Well, I don't think there is a really quick way to cut 800 of anything! I use the Stamps by Kate method. It is a stamp with an ink pad and you stamp how many you want on the back of the fabric then cut them out. It has a cutting and a sewing line. Just sew on the lines and they are all uniform. Now, I looked at the Inklingo and it looked good, but there is a lot of waste around the edges. With the stamps, you can maximize the # you get out of your fabric.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 PM

mo_chride, You have a very good start, I bought my hexes at Joannes and they are still in the bag,unopened. I have a project to get done then I plan on starting on my trip to Ca. in Dec.