Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grateful-our-relatively-inexpensive-fabric-us-t108384.html)

emerald46 03-17-2011 12:44 PM

I'd be looking for a penpal to ship from the U.S.

Jennifer22206 03-17-2011 01:02 PM

I couldn't afford to quilt at those prices.

chickadee_42us 03-17-2011 01:12 PM

I couldn't afford it either but then, pay MIGHT be better - might!!!

mygirl66 03-17-2011 01:38 PM

Wow! And I thought our fabric prices were high! I will never complain again.

jljack 03-17-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by merry

Originally Posted by aurora41
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

AMEN!

Amen & Amen!!! We do live in a God Blessed country.

Everyone in Europe and Canada, please remember that there are several of your sisters/brothers here on this Board living in the US who are happy to help out shipping fabric to you. Even with shipping charges it is TONS cheaper than what you are paying in your home country.

Lynnie25 03-17-2011 01:53 PM

Most fabrics in Australia start from $20 per metre up to $26 per metre. Getting a nice fabric for backing without paying that much money is almost impossible. You have to buy up when there is a sale and it goes down to around $10 per metre.

susanwilley 03-17-2011 01:59 PM

Yes! GOD BLESS AMERICAN!!

loopywren 03-17-2011 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Crabby Patty
How do those of you who live outside the US afford to quilt? Is your wages in line with fabric costs? Ours are for the most part except those of us who are on limited income of SS. The gov. hasn't seen fit to give us a raise for a couple years. They say there is no raise in the cost of living.LOL I don't know what rock they are living under.

Most of us simply do not quilt anywhere near as much as you do in the USA, we think carefully before we make anything.. that doesn't mean that we don't have a stash but it will be in fat quarters or possibly half metres, I don't know anyone who could buy the bolt as a lot of you do. Though probably the professionals do, because of the cost of fabric not so many quilts are sold as the cost would be prohibitive, The other alternative is for us to buy from you over there, which I have done,, even with shipping it is about half the price it is over here. Doesn't stop us quilting but we just get more inventive.

patimint 03-17-2011 05:43 PM

We in America truely are blessed. We moan and groan about the high prices we have to pay for almost everything. If I had to pay 20 or 25 or even more for a yard (meter)for fabric, I could not afford to quilt for pleasure and fun like I do now. I would have to do it for a business and I am not that good yet.

Sallyflymi 03-18-2011 03:03 AM

Probably won't be long before they raise our prices that high. They are in the process of doing that now. To bad they don't raise the wages to go along with it.