Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gray Fiskars Cutting Mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gray-fiskars-cutting-mat-t261572.html)

Kitty10628 02-21-2015 06:31 AM

Gray Fiskars Cutting Mat

Has anyone bought and used the gray Fiskars cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutting combo pack at Joanns?

I have been reading mixed reviews on the quality of the mat. I have read it is thin and people have cut right through it.

The price is great so I wanted to buy it as a gift for a new quilter.

Boston1954 02-21-2015 07:05 AM

I used to have a grey mat, but gave it to the church, and do not remember the name. I may be able to check tomorrow, if we do not get to much snow.

ManiacQuilter2 02-21-2015 07:09 AM

I have never tried their mats but you want to make sure it is a self healing mat. I only buy Omnigrid mats because they are thicker and last a lot long. I buy them online @ JAF when there is free shipping and they are 50% off.

tessagin 02-21-2015 07:16 AM

When I bought mine, it came with rotary cutter, pack of extra blades, ruler also. I still have it and it's 10 years old. I clean it when I'm done. I wipe it down with a damp cloth (nearly dry). Then put a heavy book on any area that looks like it's slightly warped. If I have to store it on it's side, I have a large piece of cardboard folded in half that does not let it bend. That was only when we had overnite guests for couple nights. I still have the cardboard just in case. I have used a utility knife on mine before but that was purely accidental. I don't recommend it.It was a large one.

Originally Posted by Kitty10628 (Post 7099372)
Has anyone bought and used the gray Fiskars cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutting combo pack at Joanns?

I have been reading mixed reviews on the quality of the mat. I have read it is thin and people have cut right through it.

The price is great so I wanted to buy it as a gift for a new quilter.

bearisgray 02-21-2015 07:17 AM

I have one - it works okay.

I don ' t think any mat will last forever if it is used a lot. Take a look at some of the mats in some of the quilt shops - they have really deep grooves ion them.

Onebyone 02-21-2015 07:58 AM

A self healing soft mat, the blade cuts into the mat. A hard surface mat the blade rolls on top of the mat. It's all a matter of preference. Buy one of each type and brand and you will know your favorite in no time. I don't keep any one mat longer then a year anyway. Once it gets worn I don't like to use it.

Bueniebabe 02-21-2015 08:38 AM

I have a gingher , not spelled right I got off Amazon before Friskars bought it out. It is thick and has the lines on both sides.

Maggiemay 02-21-2015 08:57 AM

I bought that pack Fiskars of mat, cutter & ruler about 15 years ago. Used them for years! They are not my primary tools anymore, but they are all still usable & in great shape.

adamae 02-21-2015 08:58 AM

Just got a new American Crafters self healing mat at Tuesday morning. Those self healing mats are wonderful. Had old grays and greens which were hard and so worn the markings were almost gone.
Bought a pink self lhealing mat w rotary cutter set from Havels online on special (through Feb)
The rotary cutter is so so nice. It almost glides...only requires light pressure to move forward and cut.
I am in fabric cutting paradise.

Onebyone 02-21-2015 09:24 AM

I bought one of those mats at Tuesday Morning too adamae. They are very nice. I haven't removed the packaging yet as I don't need it right now but wasn't going to pass up the bargain as it was on the clearance shelf here for 40% off I think I paid about $12 for the large one.