Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-t135152.html)

Jill 07-04-2011 10:47 AM

I learned early on to find a brand and stick with it. I put my others away so I wouldn't accidentally pick up the wrong one.

GrannieAnnie 07-04-2011 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I learned over the years to try to buy the same brand of rulers so they match, except for specialty rulers, which I have never used.

I also don't line up my fabric on cutting mats. I use the double ruler method and most of the time it works out well
peace :D

This time I didn't use my mat to check sizes. Might have made a difference

Raggiemom 07-04-2011 10:54 AM

Sorry you'll have to trim them. It's frustrating when they're off by such a little amount!

craftybear 07-04-2011 11:23 AM

thanks great idea

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I learned over the years to try to buy the same brand of rulers so they match, except for specialty rulers, which I have never used.

I also don't line up my fabric on cutting mats. I use the double ruler method and most of the time it works out well
peace :D

scrapykate 07-04-2011 11:35 AM

I did that once, one ruler is 6.5 wide and the other is 6, what a difference that 1/2 inch can make. have put the 6.5 one away so I really have to search for it and hopefully will remember the next time I use it.

MommaDorian 07-04-2011 11:47 AM

Don't you just hate that?!!! I use the same 3 rulers for all my projects. I use my 6 1/2" x 24" as much as I can. If I need more than 6 1/2" I use the same additional ruler, etc.

What project are you working on? :)

purplefiend 07-04-2011 12:29 PM

Something I learned when I began teaching quiltmaking;
stay with one brand of rulers for your quilt as some are off just a bit. Sorry you're finding this out the hard way.

GrannieAnnie 07-04-2011 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
I did that once, one ruler is 6.5 wide and the other is 6, what a difference that 1/2 inch can make. have put the 6.5 one away so I really have to search for it and hopefully will remember the next time I use it.

one of my stupider moves was that one time I used blue painters tape to mark off 5" square on a bigger square ruler. Instead of using the 5 x5 square I'd blocked off, I used the 4 1/2 inch square formed on the opposite corner for a few blocks. Couldn't understand why some blocks were a hair off. NOW if I mark ff squares on a bigger ruler, I use a bit of blue tape to put an X in the corner I'm not using. LIVE AND LEARN!

GrannieAnnie 07-04-2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Something I learned when I began teaching quiltmaking;
stay with one brand of rulers for your quilt as some are off just a bit. Sorry you're finding this out the hard way.

Thank heavens it on a project like individual squares for the quilted stars ornaments, if one square folded into a triangle is a tad off, the other squares don't care. Just got to do a bit of trimming.

Prism99 07-04-2011 03:59 PM

You could have used the June Tailor mat to cut the strips into 4" squares. Just turn it sideways on a strip. At least that way they would have actually come out square.