Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Guarding your sewing scissors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guarding-your-sewing-scissors-t201352.html)

Scissor Queen 09-23-2012 07:40 PM

There are scissors of every type in this house. Hubby knows which ones he's allowed to use and which ones were the expensive ones he's not to use. I keep all the ones he's allowed to use in a tin where he can find them.

jemma 09-23-2012 07:41 PM

after many rants ----'who used my sewing scissors'--- where are my scissors' my son bought me a great pair for xmas one year and then policed the family for me --it does help to have many pairs salted all around the house

alleyoop1 09-24-2012 03:49 AM

Just don't forget where you put the key!

SandScraps 09-24-2012 03:58 AM

No-one uses mine. We have loads of cheap scissors. My good sewing scissors were a Mothers Day gift from DH before I was a mother, so they are about 25 years old and still as good as new. The girls grew up fearing them because I told them they would die if they touched them. Poor mites!

patchsamkim 09-24-2012 04:35 AM

Many years ago my husband used my ginghers...to cut CARPET...they never worked the same after that...he felt terrible when I told him how much the scissors cost and he did buy me a new pair...which I kept hidden in my sewing room...and bought several pairs of cheaper scissors that were ok to use.

Love the picture of keeping scissors LOCKED....wish I had thought of that!

susie-susie-susie 09-24-2012 04:37 AM

My "good" scissors are usually the ones my kids grab first. I have 3 categories of scissors. Dull, a little sharp, and "good" scissors. They know to ask before they cut anything, but it took me many years to train them. I think the problem is a universal problem.
Sue

BellaBoo 09-24-2012 04:48 AM

Scissors are inexpensive compared to what they cost years ago so replacing a pair isn't a budget breaker. Gingher 8"dressmaker shears are $19.48 at Amazon. Free second day shipping if you are a Prime member. The heavy Ginghers are perfect for household use.

QuiltnNan 09-24-2012 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 5536554)
Funny thing is my 18 yr old now wants good sewing scissors...and she was the worst for using mine for everything but fabric..Bet she is protective of hers!!

well, i'd give her my old pair and buy a new pair for myself :)

tlambing 09-24-2012 05:38 AM

We need a "like" button!

Originally Posted by rush88888 (Post 5536692)
here's the picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365128[/ATTACH]

Peepers 09-24-2012 06:02 AM

Growing up, my grandparents had 16 Hummels, 2 for each grandchild, on display at kid level. We learned, just by being told, that you look but don't touch the Hummels. (I think we're all scared to death of breaking one of our Hummels even now!) That's how I taught my son, and, now, his twins, not to touch my sewing scissors. The Ginghers are kept in their sheaths, so are easily identified and I put a keychain thru the handle of a pair without a sheath. (Of course, when my son and grandkids were little, the scissors, seam ripper, rotary cutter, etc. were kept out of reach.) The twins are now 12 and they still come to me and ask, "Grandma, are these your sewing scissors?"