Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Guarding your sewing scissors

Blog Entries

Guarding your sewing scissors

As sewists, we all know the consequences of letting someone use our sewing scissors. They usually come back dull or notched and useless for fabric.
    I saw a picture the other day and had a "duh" moment. It showed a pair of scissors with a padlock through the handles. It was meant to be a funny joke, but I think I've just found the solution for my scissors!!
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Good idea. Rule #1 never touch my sewing scissors. This means NEVER.

That's a good one . Another is make the offending party buy you new very expensive scissors. They will leave them alone ether way or use both methods.

Funny thing is my 18 yr old now wants good sewing scissors...and she was the worst for using mine for everything but fabric..Bet she is protective of hers!!

Blog Entries
    I solved the don't use my best sewing scissors problem. I bought the same scissors I like to use in my sewing room for household use. No one looks for my good scissors as all the scissors are good. No one likes to use scissors that won't cut worth a darn. I bought four pair of Gingher dressmaker shears scissors years ago and they are still sharp and in use at our house.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 09-23-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    Got fabric?

When I got my good Ginghers, I showed to my husband and said, "MINE! NO TOUCHY!!" Then he told me a terrible story about him and his brother using his mom's good sewing scissors as a "ninja throwing star" when they were kids and breaking the tips off. I gave him such a hard time about it (in a kidding sort of way) that he got a guilt trip and bought his mom some shiny new scissors. It's been about 30 years, but I thought it was funny (and so did she).

that's the trick. Put scissors everywhere so they don't go looking for yours.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

When my kids were small (until they were 18 or so!) I left my good scissors in a cash lockbox! I kept the key on my keychain. Worked quite well!

Pam

It can be hard to protect them...agree that keeping lots of other pairs available for other jobs helps a lot to protect your good ones.

here's the picture:

Name:  scissors with lock.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  9.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
    As sewists, we all know the consequences of letting someone use our sewing scissors. They usually come back dull or notched and useless for fabric.
    I saw a picture the other day and had a "duh" moment. It showed a pair of scissors with a padlock through the handles. It was meant to be a funny joke, but I think I've just found the solution for my scissors!!

There are scissors of every type in this house. Hubby knows which ones he's allowed to use and which ones were the expensive ones he's not to use. I keep all the ones he's allowed to use in a tin where he can find them.

after many rants ----'who used my sewing scissors'--- where are my scissors' my son bought me a great pair for xmas one year and then policed the family for me --it does help to have many pairs salted all around the house

Just don't forget where you put the key!

No-one uses mine. We have loads of cheap scissors. My good sewing scissors were a Mothers Day gift from DH before I was a mother, so they are about 25 years old and still as good as new. The girls grew up fearing them because I told them they would die if they touched them. Poor mites!

Many years ago my husband used my ginghers...to cut CARPET...they never worked the same after that...he felt terrible when I told him how much the scissors cost and he did buy me a new pair...which I kept hidden in my sewing room...and bought several pairs of cheaper scissors that were ok to use.

Love the picture of keeping scissors LOCKED....wish I had thought of that!

My "good" scissors are usually the ones my kids grab first. I have 3 categories of scissors. Dull, a little sharp, and "good" scissors. They know to ask before they cut anything, but it took me many years to train them. I think the problem is a universal problem.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Scissors are inexpensive compared to what they cost years ago so replacing a pair isn't a budget breaker. Gingher 8"dressmaker shears are $19.48 at Amazon. Free second day shipping if you are a Prime member. The heavy Ginghers are perfect for household use.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 09-24-2012 at 04:51 AM.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Funny thing is my 18 yr old now wants good sewing scissors...and she was the worst for using mine for everything but fabric..Bet she is protective of hers!!
    well, i'd give her my old pair and buy a new pair for myself
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

We need a "like" button!
    Quote Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
    here's the picture:

Banned
    Growing up, my grandparents had 16 Hummels, 2 for each grandchild, on display at kid level. We learned, just by being told, that you look but don't touch the Hummels. (I think we're all scared to death of breaking one of our Hummels even now!) That's how I taught my son, and, now, his twins, not to touch my sewing scissors. The Ginghers are kept in their sheaths, so are easily identified and I put a keychain thru the handle of a pair without a sheath. (Of course, when my son and grandkids were little, the scissors, seam ripper, rotary cutter, etc. were kept out of reach.) The twins are now 12 and they still come to me and ask, "Grandma, are these your sewing scissors?"

Quote Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
    here's the picture:

HAHAHAA Gotta love it. I'm lucky! My DH had a sewing mother so he knows not to even look at my expensive sewing ones. I also have a bunch around that I sharpen now and again just in case.

At my house it's location, location, location. My sewing scissors are in my quilting room or on a shelf by the longarm. All other scissors are in the desk or a kitchen drawer, or sometimes just lying around. DH probably can't tell one pair from another, but he knows by location which ones he can use. And if scissors are so dull or bent that they're no longer worth using, they go to the trash.

I buy those cheap orange or blue handled ones for garage or shop use. I did give my husband my old Fisker dressmaker shears when I bought a new pair.

In my sewing room I have those white with a red strip Singer scissors for everything but fabric use.
    All my sewing shears are silver Wiss or Fiskers.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I take some yarn and braid a small piece on my sewing scissors. My husband then knows those are only for fabric and not to touch them. I got the idea from my grandma who did it to her scissors. If I don't have yarn when I buy new scissors, I tie a piece of ribbon on them.

Blog Entries
    Rocks, metal, chunks of wood, etc will ruin scissors. paper will not ruin them, but can leave a residue which can cause them to be dull. If you periodically clean the blades to remove the residue all will be well. Paper is a fiber and of course fabric is too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast