Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guarding your sewing scissors

Blog Entries
    A.c.moore sells a red padlock for scissors

My scissors have words written in a black permanent marker. FABRIC, KITCHEN, PAPER. My grown children, grandchildren and "love of my life" all know to look before use.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Great idea!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    My children do no have thumbs -- so using my scissors is not an issue. I dated a guy once who picked up my scissors to cut something that did not even slightly resemble fabric. As I said, I dated him once.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

One of the ladies in my guild laughs about using the mini padlocks that come with suitcases to lock hers up when she leaves - with the key on a chain. Sounds like good advice.

I never had any trouble with DH or the kids using my scissors. I homeschooled, and the kids each had their own scissors. (They're all grown & gone now.) Hubby uses the ones I keep in my computer desk.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    LOL .. I have to laugh as I had in the past so thought of all the ideas here !LOL I ended up buying a very nice set of Gingher scissors and putting them up. I bought quite a few of the orange handled scissors and put them in places where everyone had a pair or two. Including in the kitchen as it never fails: they are needed for a project.
    When we moved into this house- I was unpacking and found the scissors-pristine and still in their original box at the bottom of my sewing box, I hardly ever went into the bottom part of it; just the top area. I never knew where these went and Oh boy needless to say the DD's still razz me about being forgetful at a young age.! LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I bought a Fiskars sharpener and plenty of cheap colored handled scissors. So if the scissors are red, green, blue, pink, orange - go ahead and use them. Here's the sharpener. If they have black, grey or plain handles, leave them ALONE! My sewing scissors are mostly the squeeze type. I have long skinny fingers and traditional scissors are very uncomfortable since the holes are too big.

Hahaha...I have scissors in the kitchen, and on the tool shelf...what's in the sewing room are off limits...

I never had that problem because I used to put my scissors away in the box when I finished with them and then put the box away in a drawer. Of course, like others said, I have reasonably good scissors in every room in the house so there is no need to look for my good scissors.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    At my house it's location, location, location. My sewing scissors are in my quilting room or on a shelf by the longarm. All other scissors are in the desk or a kitchen drawer, or sometimes just lying around. DH probably can't tell one pair from another, but he knows by location which ones he can use. And if scissors are so dull or bent that they're no longer worth using, they go to the trash.
    I guess I have a thing for all sharp objects - lol - I have a box about 6"x15"x8"deep for my good scissors & it is so full I couldn't get another pair in it. I also have a couple of flannel knife rolls for my good knives, & another box almost as big as the scissor box for the multiple rotary cutters. Everyone knows that they do not touch anything in the boxes without permission. My DD uses the knives, but she knows to immediately wash, dry & return to the roll. When my kids were little I told them that anything in the cabinets near my sewing machine was off limits, since they were my tools. My DSIL used my DDs good scissors "once" to cut heavy cardboard - was he ever in trouble & had to replace them. I think the secret to "no touch" is for everyone to learn to respect the property of others. My DH & I were married almost 40 years & in that whole time he never opened my purse & I never opened his wallet. It was one of the hardest things I had to do when he passed was to go into his wallet, & I put it off for more than 2 years.

hugs
    Shirley in Indiana

My kids and husband all knew to leave my sewing shears along. Same respect - I didn't use husbands tools either. When my son was in middle school he took homemaking and for his sewing class he needs the list of must haves. Told him to go get what he needed and then I would check it all out. Well he did. Including my Ghinger shears. That was changed to the Fiskars. At least he knew the 'good" ones. But my kids just always knew that Moms sewing was Moms sewing and leave it alone. I also kept the scissors in the sewing cabinet drawer out of direct sight. I also bought a bunch of very elcheapo screwdrivers, hammer, pliers for me in the house. And you know - they always stayed in the house because they were not good enough for my husband to work with. I respected my husbands tools because he worked with them and he respected my sewing things.

Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
    Many years ago my husband used my ginghers...to cut CARPET...they never worked the same after that...he felt terrible when I told him how much the scissors cost and he did buy me a new pair...which I kept hidden in my sewing room...and bought several pairs of cheaper scissors that were ok to use.

Love the picture of keeping scissors LOCKED....wish I had thought of that!
    OH my, I hid my scissors too. In plain sight but in a different area of the room. They are actually hanging on the same pegboard as the everyday scissors just across the room. No one ever sees them LOL.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    I frequently give scissors as gifts. They don't have to be $40 shears for people who will use them for cutting window screening, but they can be adequate to those tasks and not cost a fortune. My DH is very good about not using my sewing scissors, but then I have 'general use' scissors available in just about every room in the house. For those with kids, use the padlock!!
    Stephanie in Mena

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    My children do no have thumbs -- so using my scissors is not an issue. I dated a guy once who picked up my scissors to cut something that did not even slightly resemble fabric. As I said, I dated him once.
    Man that is harsh.....LOL
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

joy

sewing scissors

Was wondering why my dressmaking scissors were getting blunt and one day saw my DH cutting paper with them... goodness knows what else he has been using them for.. I hate to think !!! So they are hidden from view now...
    joy...

Quote Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
    That's a good one . Another is make the offending party buy you new very expensive scissors. They will leave them alone ether way or use both methods.
    I like the way you think, Mary quilting.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    Long ago, I bought 2 pair orange handle scissors at Hancock’s @ 2 for $5.>>
    I told my DH and sons they are for paper.>>
    The only time my DH went into Hancock’s with me, [20 years later]: as we waited in the check out line, he said “they sure have a lot of paper scissors here.” I looked around, they had a large display of orange handle scissors, I never told him any different.>>

What a wonderful idea! My poor DH now picks up a pair of scissors and asks if he can use them to cut... Poor baby!

Blog Entries
    That was the funniest one of the day, Phyllis nm....I have rules about my sewing scissors too, but am bad to forget which is which when I am in a hurry and I am the guilty one more times than not.....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Blog Entries
    That is one thing my family has always been good about leaving alone. My sewing stuff. There were numerous threats if they messed with it. I always had plenty of other scissors around for them. My DH was the worst for trying to use my good scissors. When I told him the cost to replace them he never touched them again. I have my grandmas old sewing scissors. They are really good, expensive ones. Not sure how old they are but she was born in 1900.

I turned on quilting board tonight to write about scissors! I found this thread. Makes me feel better that I am not alone. My wonderful Mundial 5 1/2" scissors were on the ottoman with my knitting. Last night. I fell ill in the afternoon, couldn't cook dinner or eat. By 10 pm I was better, went to the den to discover the 37 yr old DD had used scissors for cutting photographs. I am here to tell you they are dull. Fabric pushes sideways and they do not cut sharply like they previously did. Scissors I provided her were in her room where she used them all day and others on kitchen desk. Mine were closer. Excuse: they weren't in your sewing room I know not to use those. DH hands in air I will never use your scissors. Solution: I am ordering another pair online. I did find them on sale on ebay at a great price. These are the breast cancer pink with soft touch. I am a survivor and these mean a lot to me. I will look for the luggage locks tomorrow as DH said they should be locked up if that special. I thought about it and you know, he keeps his tools locked in the garage so maybe he is on to something. Yes, I am still frustrated. I'll be better when the new scissors arrive!
    GGinMcKinney

Dee
    Love that picture. Anything in the sewing room is off limits. Especially scissors.

I have scissors in the kitchen, my desk, and in my granddaughter's bedroom. My dh has scissors in his desk, in his shop area and his toolbox. My sewing scissors are upstairs in my sewing room. Sice I moved the sewing to the upstairs, I don't think anyone has bothered my scissors at all. Too much work to climb the stairs. LOL. I have labeled some of the scissors in my sewing room - paper, batting, etc. My really nice scissors are kept in a drawer underneath my cutting table where they are easy to get to but out of sight.

I keep my Ginghers dressmakers, pinking shears and my two embroidery shears in the orginal cases they came in, with labels on them that say...do not use... only for fabric cutting. Then I also have a flower vase in the kitchen with several pairs of scissors, including kids scissors. This way everyone knows that they can only use the scissors from the flower vase. My scissors pretty much stay out of sight so they don't really know where to find them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast