Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Guarding your sewing scissors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guarding-your-sewing-scissors-t201352.html)

joy 09-25-2012 10:11 AM

sewing scissors

Was wondering why my dressmaking scissors were getting blunt and one day saw my DH cutting paper with them... goodness knows what else he has been using them for.. I hate to think !!! So they are hidden from view now...

QandE2010 09-25-2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mary quilting (Post 5536503)
That's a good one . Another is make the offending party buy you new very expensive scissors. They will leave them alone ether way or use both methods.

I like the way you think, Mary quilting.

Phyllis nm 09-25-2012 12:36 PM

Long ago, I bought 2 pair orange handle scissors at Hancock’s @ 2 for $5.<o:p></o:p>
I told my DH and sons they are for paper.<o:p></o:p>
The only time my DH went into Hancock’s with me, [20 years later]: as we waited in the check out line, he said “they sure have a lot of paper scissors here.” I looked around, they had a large display of orange handle scissors, I never told him any different.<o:p></o:p>

MimiBug123 09-25-2012 12:57 PM

What a wonderful idea! My poor DH now picks up a pair of scissors and asks if he can use them to cut... Poor baby!

oldtnquiltinglady 09-25-2012 01:16 PM

That was the funniest one of the day, Phyllis nm....I have rules about my sewing scissors too, but am bad to forget which is which when I am in a hurry and I am the guilty one more times than not.....

meanmom 09-25-2012 01:52 PM

That is one thing my family has always been good about leaving alone. My sewing stuff. There were numerous threats if they messed with it. I always had plenty of other scissors around for them. My DH was the worst for trying to use my good scissors. When I told him the cost to replace them he never touched them again. I have my grandmas old sewing scissors. They are really good, expensive ones. Not sure how old they are but she was born in 1900.

GGinMcKinney 09-25-2012 05:54 PM

I turned on quilting board tonight to write about scissors! I found this thread. Makes me feel better that I am not alone. My wonderful Mundial 5 1/2" scissors were on the ottoman with my knitting. Last night. I fell ill in the afternoon, couldn't cook dinner or eat. By 10 pm I was better, went to the den to discover the 37 yr old DD had used scissors for cutting photographs. I am here to tell you they are dull. Fabric pushes sideways and they do not cut sharply like they previously did. Scissors I provided her were in her room where she used them all day and others on kitchen desk. Mine were closer. Excuse: they weren't in your sewing room I know not to use those. DH hands in air I will never use your scissors. Solution: I am ordering another pair online. I did find them on sale on ebay at a great price. These are the breast cancer pink with soft touch. I am a survivor and these mean a lot to me. I will look for the luggage locks tomorrow as DH said they should be locked up if that special. I thought about it and you know, he keeps his tools locked in the garage so maybe he is on to something. Yes, I am still frustrated. I'll be better when the new scissors arrive!

Dee 09-25-2012 07:44 PM

Love that picture. Anything in the sewing room is off limits. Especially scissors.

Scakes 09-26-2012 03:55 AM

I have scissors in the kitchen, my desk, and in my granddaughter's bedroom. My dh has scissors in his desk, in his shop area and his toolbox. My sewing scissors are upstairs in my sewing room. Sice I moved the sewing to the upstairs, I don't think anyone has bothered my scissors at all. Too much work to climb the stairs. LOL. I have labeled some of the scissors in my sewing room - paper, batting, etc. My really nice scissors are kept in a drawer underneath my cutting table where they are easy to get to but out of sight.

Stitch124 09-26-2012 04:54 AM

I keep my Ginghers dressmakers, pinking shears and my two embroidery shears in the orginal cases they came in, with labels on them that say...do not use... only for fabric cutting. Then I also have a flower vase in the kitchen with several pairs of scissors, including kids scissors. This way everyone knows that they can only use the scissors from the flower vase. My scissors pretty much stay out of sight so they don't really know where to find them.