Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   guilty quilting - gwuilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guilty-quilting-gwuilting-t87873.html)

martapr 01-06-2011 05:11 PM

I feel the same way you do. I used to quilt throughout the week but now my sisters & I get together most Saturdays - I feel that's our time.

crazythread 01-06-2011 06:02 PM

I really laughed when I read this. I worked for over 30 years as a bookkkeeper-Accountant. I would set at work and dream of what I would be doing if I were home and quilting. I would feel guilty and get back to work......Now I have been "retired" for 3 years and can quilt whenever and however long I want to.....I still feel guilty and will have bouts of cleaning frenzy around the house. Then I say the heck with it and go back to my sewing room where I am the happiest. I guess we never get over the guilty feeling about doing what we love the most.....QUILTING (notice there is only a difference of a Q and G in the word quilting and guilty. So just change that G to Q and Quilt to your hearts content!

QM 01-06-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Guilt is a totally useless emotion.
I try not to entertain it.

Agreed!!!

My mother overcame her sense of guilt by reading aloud, sharing her joy of literature with us. She worked full time and kept house.

Before I retired, most of my sewing was making useful things, like suits and tents. DH and I agree now that my main occupation is quilter. We are able to afford a couple of hours a week of someone cleaning house. We divide cooking and laundry chores. I don't have to justify my time to anyone but me and DH. We are both very agreeable, fortunately.

cosyquilter 01-06-2011 06:55 PM

I"should" be either quilting or doing supper dishes, but I am watching TV with my laptop on my lap, reading this. I tell myself I am studying, just as if I were in school, but I still feel guilty!

sewingsuz 01-06-2011 06:57 PM

I feel like I should be cleaning also. I hate all that housework anymore. I will be 70 in April and I just want to play now. I worked all my life. This board is the greatest thing that has happen to me for a long time. I am not lonely at all anymore. Thanks to everyone.

sewingsuz 01-06-2011 07:12 PM

Me again, My new years resolution is not to be so fussy about the dust and housework. I kill myself keeping up with it. Not worth it, i cannot take this material stash with me so I have got to quilt and sew. All of us will be remembered. We are going to leave alot of what we did, on this earth for generations to enjoy and remember us. They are not going to say, " she did not have a dirty house, not once". I am reformed. Fianally

brendaln 01-06-2011 07:20 PM

I just love all you folks! I feel every emotion you do. I still work full time (1 more year) and quilt every spare minute. It is such a release for me and I only occasionally have guilt that my house is not up to the cleaning standards that I was raised with. Truth is we have so many modern tools that house cleaning is much easier and much less important as we age as long as it is uncluttered and healthy clean. Quilting gives me much more satisfaction than a squeaky clean house.

Gabrielle's Mimi 01-06-2011 07:32 PM

Remember: "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

quiltgrammyt2 01-06-2011 07:45 PM

I feel guilty sometimes about the housework not being done,but I feel even worse when I go without quilting for awhile,I have spent alot of time and money on this hobbie and feel I should make the most of it,after all we only live once and sometimes it can be a short life.So live happily!!!! :D :thumbup: :D

rob529 01-06-2011 07:53 PM

I know what you mean. I tried to make a bargain with myself that I would commit to the first 2 hrs of the day I would do house stuff then I could sew guilt free to supper time. Sounded like a good plan.