Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gutermann thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gutermann-thread-t116124.html)

PJisChaos 04-14-2011 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, going way outside my box here and trying a new thread. Usually I just buy the C&C machine quilting spools at Wal-Mart but went over to Hancocks today to buy a bunch of $.99 FQs and seen this 100% cotton variagated thread on sale 1/2 off. I am gonna use it in the top shown as I think it will blend well. Soo, I have a few questions..
1) Can I use my normal quilting thread for the bobbins?
2) What is everyones experience with this brand? Any problems I should be aware of?

The thread in question
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184243[/ATTACH]

The top it's intended for
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184244[/ATTACH]

emerald46 04-14-2011 01:58 PM

No answer on the thread. But that is one incredible looking quilt!!

redturtle 04-14-2011 02:00 PM

lol...im trying the same brand...picked it up today...i will be interested in the answers that you get...

your quilt is gorgeous!

cant wait to see it completed

susie-susie-susie 04-14-2011 02:02 PM

Beautiful quilt. I usually use Gutermann thread. Occasionally I use Mettler and I recently bought Connecting Threads cotton thread, but I prefer Gutermann. I have had no problems with it and I like to get it at JoAnn's for 50% off.
Sue

PJisChaos 04-14-2011 02:04 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys! I have worked on this one for almost 9 months now. I did not use any strip piecing or other "quick" methods as I was wanting to hone my skills and being a taurus, I had to do it the hardest way possible. :-) It is my own design and has 1500 2 1/2" squares. Only the top half is completely together at this point.

MadQuilter 04-14-2011 02:06 PM

I have used Guterman and have been happy with it. The question is: Does your machine like it? Some are persnickety. As for the bobbin, I usually use the same weight thread in the bobbin when I quilt. Not necessarily the same brand or even the same type.

The variegated will be perfect for that lovely quilt.

KarenR 04-14-2011 02:15 PM

Beautiful quilt. I usually use Gutermann thread.

jmabby 04-14-2011 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Thanks for the compliments guys! I have worked on this one for almost 9 months now. I did not use any strip piecing or other "quick" methods as I was wanting to hone my skills and being a taurus, I had to do it the hardest way possible. :-) It is my own design and has 1500 2 1/2" squares. Only the top half is completely together at this point.

Wonderful quilt, but what did you do that was so bad that you would punish yourself to work with 1500 2 1/2 inch squares??

I love Gutterman, also use 100% cotton Sulky.

MomNanaWolf 04-14-2011 02:23 PM

Very pretty quilt. I have not tried guttermen and found that walmart brand breaks to easy, I went to my local quilt shop and bought some Star tread to try in my new machine and it seems to work very well. The only brand I use with my quilting machine now is King Tut, it hardly breaks and way less fuzz around the bobbin case. But that is just my two cents.

sueisallaboutquilts 04-14-2011 02:27 PM

I love Gutermann thread. Your quilt is beautiful!!
I am really against buying the cheaper threads. Just not worth it in the long run ( My opinion only)