Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   guttermann thread problem? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guttermann-thread-problem-t74569.html)

ccb2200 11-06-2010 07:21 AM

The last Bernina that I bought I was told to not use Coats and Clark threads, that I should use Guttermann or the other brand which I can't remember the name now. I have noticed that since I have been using these threads that there isn't as much lint that forms in the bobbin/dogfeed area.

I also just learned that certain threads are put on the spool differently. That determines which way you put it on your machine vertical or horizontal.

Candace 11-06-2010 07:52 AM

I was also told not to use Gutterman by my dealership, as it "supposedly" has gone way down in quality. But, I still use it with no problems. It's not as good as other thread on the market but in a pinch I will buy it and use it. My favorite thread is still Aurifil. And I use that whenever possible.

DebraK 11-06-2010 07:55 AM

hmmm, Interesting. I've never had a problem with it, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

grann of 6 11-06-2010 07:56 AM

I love Gutermann thread. I have been told it is among the best, because of the way it is wound on the spool, and the fact that it is much less linty than other threads. My Vikings prefer it.

sewNso 11-06-2010 08:01 AM

i started out using cheap thread. but, when i started machine quilting my quilts, i found that the more expensive thread, didn't break or tangle on my machine as much. good thread from LQ shop, or gutermann is all i use now.

Quilter4HireAndFun 11-06-2010 08:03 AM

Sometimes it matters which way the tread is mounted upon your machine. If a thread is on a spool like an old Coats & Clark spool you load it one way, straight up vertically. If it is criss-crossed when wound on the spool, I find that I need to have it horizontal on my machine. Try different ways of loading your thread. Some machines are "picky "
just 2 cents worth

scowlkat 11-06-2010 08:05 AM

I have used gutermann on Janomes, Babylock and Brother machines and never had a problem. I also use Coats and Clark and just make sure to clean my machine frequently as it does produce a lot of lint.

Navy Wife 11-06-2010 08:11 AM

I use all different brands in my Pfaff CV. Even Coats and Clark doesn't cause a problem. Just don't use old thread of any brand. After a couple of years the thread dries out in our heated and cooled, humidity removed houses, and becomes brittle. Then almost all threads will cause trouble.

Kas 11-06-2010 08:24 AM

I have used the Gutterman with no problems. I like Mettler 60wt, and Superior Master Piece for piecing because they are thin and strong. For quilting, I like Mettler 50 or 40wt (linty, though), Superior King Tut, Star, Sulky 50wt, and a few others. I have made two quilts with Aurifil and both have popped quilting lines. Not happy with that.

Kitsie 11-06-2010 09:28 AM

I have a Brother and a Pfaff and always use Guttermann. I don't like the "invisible" mono-filament of theirs though as it feel thick and stiff.