Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: guttermann thread problem?

Blog Entries
    I just bought a low end Janome for my DGDs Xmas present.
    I asked if it likes or dislikes certain threads and the LQS owner said not to use Guttermann thread. She said it's put on the spool wet at the factory which makes it come off the spool with a tighter curve and doesn't feed through the machine as well.
    Have any of you noticed this?

I buy whichever thread is on sale, some of which has been Guttermann. I don't remember having a problem, but I thought I'd check here.
    I don't want my DGD to get frustrated over a thread issue while learning to sew There's so many other things she can get frustrated over :lol:

I have quite a few Janome machines and I do not really like the Gutterman thread. It frays and breaks alot. When I do have a spool I usually try and use it for bobbin thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    I just bought a low end Janome for my DGDs Xmas present.
    I asked if it likes or dislikes certain threads and the LQS owner said not to use Guttermann thread. She said it's put on the spool wet at the factory which makes it come off the spool with a tighter curve and doesn't feed through the machine as well.
    Have any of you noticed this?

I buy whichever thread is on sale, some of which has been Guttermann. I don't remember having a problem, but I thought I'd check here.
    I don't want my DGD to get frustrated over a thread issue while learning to sew There's so many other things she can get frustrated over :lol:
    Good question, i wondered about thread also.

I have a husqvarna SE & D1 and all I buy is gutermann thread. I also have a New Home and a small Brother for classes, they all like the thread. In a class I took once the teacher suggested this thread so it's all I've ever used and never had a problem

I have 2 Janome machines and Gutermann is all I use. Have had no problems with it at all and have been using it since day 1. Actually recommended by the dealer....so go figure. Could it make a difference that I use the Gutermann polyester??
    My Kenmore is even happy with it!

I have three Janome machines and use Gutterman all the time without a problem

I use Gutterman thread also. I sure haven't had a problem with it. The dealer probably sells another brand and wants you to spend a bunch for their thread also.

I use Gutermann all the time on a variety of machines and have never had any problems. My Pfaff Creative Vision, otoh, doesn't seem to like Madeira thread :?

Just let your DGD try a few spools and see what happens before stocking up though, just in case. Some machines do seem to have certain preferences, but it would make life a whole lot easier if they could agree on the same brands, lol.

Blog Entries
    I use it too. If it was so bad, how would it have gotten to be one of the leading brands of thread in the world, I wonder?

My sisters and I all have janome 6500/6600 machines. All three machines EAT Coats and Clark and love Gutterman!

Is your dealer stocking a different brand name? Just wondering!

The last Bernina that I bought I was told to not use Coats and Clark threads, that I should use Guttermann or the other brand which I can't remember the name now. I have noticed that since I have been using these threads that there isn't as much lint that forms in the bobbin/dogfeed area.

I also just learned that certain threads are put on the spool differently. That determines which way you put it on your machine vertical or horizontal.

I was also told not to use Gutterman by my dealership, as it "supposedly" has gone way down in quality. But, I still use it with no problems. It's not as good as other thread on the market but in a pinch I will buy it and use it. My favorite thread is still Aurifil. And I use that whenever possible.

hmmm, Interesting. I've never had a problem with it, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

Blog Entries
    I love Gutermann thread. I have been told it is among the best, because of the way it is wound on the spool, and the fact that it is much less linty than other threads. My Vikings prefer it.

Blog Entries
    i started out using cheap thread. but, when i started machine quilting my quilts, i found that the more expensive thread, didn't break or tangle on my machine as much. good thread from LQ shop, or gutermann is all i use now.

Sometimes it matters which way the tread is mounted upon your machine. If a thread is on a spool like an old Coats & Clark spool you load it one way, straight up vertically. If it is criss-crossed when wound on the spool, I find that I need to have it horizontal on my machine. Try different ways of loading your thread. Some machines are "picky "
    just 2 cents worth

Blog Entries
    I have used gutermann on Janomes, Babylock and Brother machines and never had a problem. I also use Coats and Clark and just make sure to clean my machine frequently as it does produce a lot of lint.

I use all different brands in my Pfaff CV. Even Coats and Clark doesn't cause a problem. Just don't use old thread of any brand. After a couple of years the thread dries out in our heated and cooled, humidity removed houses, and becomes brittle. Then almost all threads will cause trouble.

Kas
    I have used the Gutterman with no problems. I like Mettler 60wt, and Superior Master Piece for piecing because they are thin and strong. For quilting, I like Mettler 50 or 40wt (linty, though), Superior King Tut, Star, Sulky 50wt, and a few others. I have made two quilts with Aurifil and both have popped quilting lines. Not happy with that.

Blog Entries
    I have a Brother and a Pfaff and always use Guttermann. I don't like the "invisible" mono-filament of theirs though as it feel thick and stiff.

Blog Entries
    could the tension be too tight?

I have two Janomes and use Gutermann all the time, it's my favorite for the quilting machine.

I have used Gutermann 100% cotton in my Janome with no problems, I also use Connecting Threads- Essential thread in the machine too - no problems other than more lint which can be solved by using a q-tip and swipe it out before you load your next bobbin - also Coats and Clark. Sometimes a dealer might recommend one thread over another because it is something they personally had trouble with in the past or because they sell something else - my opinion.

I love Gutermasn cotton thread. It's my favorite for piecing.

Quilter4Hire's note is important information on whether to place the spool on the vertical or the horizontal spindle, based on which way the thread is wound on the spool.

Blog Entries
    Well after reading how many of you use Gutterman thread with no problems I guess maybe she (the LQS owner) had an ulterior motive after all for telling me not to use it.
    Thank you everyone.
    When my DGD go shopping for fabric and threads after Xmas I won't have to worry if she picks Gutterman.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast