Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: guttermann thread problem?

I found that Gutermann thread used to be really good because it had been made in Germany. For the last while it has been made in Mexico, and I find that the quality is not near as good. Just purchased a Pfaff quilt expressions 4.0 and my dealer recommended Aurifil. I am anxious to try the Connecting Threads thread. Seems like some of you think that is really good, and I know it is a lot cheaper. I have learned a lot the short time I have been on this site. Thanks again.

I also use pretty much any thread that I have. I inherited a bunch of thread with the stash that I got in February and I have found that Mettler is great for piecing, Connecting Threads for piecing, but I use Aurofil and Coats and Clark for quilting, sometimes Superior. the connecting Threads breaks and shreds for quilting. I love Gutterman hand quilting thread. It can't be beat!!!

Not my favorite thread either like many others though different ones for different uses trial and error

Gutermann is all I use on all my Janome machines and I have 5 of them. I find it does the best job. I am even going to try their serger thread.

I have a bernina and I was told not use coat and clark because of lint, I was sold to use gutermann. I have fould I have less lint. I was told not to use wal mart thread, it could rune your machine.

I have several different brands of machine's, one of which is a Janome and I have never had a problem with Gutterman.
    I believe if you use the right needle with the thread and the tension is correct for the project, most thread is fine except the really cheap stuff.

Some threads are very linty(cotton) but just clean the bobbin on a regular basis- When I got my first machine(40 yrs back) I had all kinds of problems and learned the hard way, taking the machine to the shop, that the most important thing for a new sewer is to use the correct thread, needle and keep that machine clean. Saves lots of frustration and money in the long run---

Blog Entries
    I haven't used alot of Gutermann thread, but what I have used didn't cause me a problem and I have a Bernina...Coats & Clark on the other hand....I just don't go down that road anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiziedo
    I found that Gutermann thread used to be really good because it had been made in Germany. For the last while it has been made in Mexico, and I find that the quality is not near as good. Just purchased a Pfaff quilt expressions 4.0 and my dealer recommended Aurifil. I am anxious to try the Connecting Threads thread. Seems like some of you think that is really good, and I know it is a lot cheaper. I have learned a lot the short time I have been on this site. Thanks again.
    Probably because Aurifil is about the most expensive thread you can buy, if you can even find it anywhere. I have only seen it on the internet, more expensive than I am willing to pay. I have heard good things about CT thread and am going to try some of the polyester that is less linty.

I generally buy Gutterman for my Viking machines. I do have a bag of my late MILs thread and it is mostly Coats and Clark...some is pretty old, but works in a pinch if I need a particular shade. (I am not using her thread that is on the old wooden spools, however. LOL) I prefer Gutterman..have never had any problems with it. I think you might want to buy a couple small spools of different brands for your DGD just to see if the machine does have a 'preference'. Did you happen to notice what kind of thread the dealer sells? That could definitely be the 'key' to her comment.

Quote Originally Posted by karenfae
    I have used Gutermann 100% cotton in my Janome with no problems, I also use Connecting Threads- Essential thread in the machine too - no problems other than more lint which can be solved by using a q-tip and swipe it out before you load your next bobbin - also Coats and Clark. Sometimes a dealer might recommend one thread over another because it is something they personally had trouble with in the past or because they sell something else - my opinion.
    I think you are correct! Can't blame them for wanted to push thier brand of thread.

Yes, my dealer sells Aurifil, and it is expensive. She sells about any kind you can think of, and it seems to me, it is all expensive. Used the Aurifil, and yes, it is nice thread, but I do think there are many nice threads on the market. I realize that polyester would give much less lint, but any article I read, they say to use cotton. I am always open for new ideas. Would poly be the way to go. I don't have to worry for a while, because I have quite a bit of thread to get used up. I know I have used Gutermann in my Viking Designer ! I really enjoy everyone's input on topics. I know that is how I learn. And I know I have a lot to learn!!!!!!!!!!

I have 4 Janome machine from low end to high end and use Gutterman and King Tut thread all the time and have never had a problem.

Hi,Re guttermann thread, I really don't like it for hand quilting, maybe it's just me but find it lacks depth. LOL Letty

Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl
    I use Gutermann all the time on a variety of machines and have never had any problems. My Pfaff Creative Vision, otoh, doesn't seem to like Madeira thread :?

Just let your DGD try a few spools and see what happens before stocking up though, just in case. Some machines do seem to have certain preferences, but it would make life a whole lot easier if they could agree on the same brands, lol.
    That 's a good idea - a variety of threads to try. It seems like we (and our machines) seem to prefer a variety of thread, so introduce to a selection. My recommendation would be C&C, Mettler, Connecting Threads and Aurifil. I know Aruifil seems expensive , but it lasts and lasts and lasts!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Letty
    Hi,Re guttermann thread, I really don't like it for hand quilting, maybe it's just me but find it lacks depth. LOL Letty
    That's because it is meant to be a machine thread, polyester and all that. They do make a very nice cotton hand quilting thread now, because I just got some. It has that nice sheen you want. I wouldn't want to hand quilt with the polyester thread; too hard on the fingers and too hard to get it to lay the way you want.

I have a Bernina machine and have a problem when I use Gutterman and Mettler in both the needle and bobbin, can only use it in one or the other.

Blog Entries
    My LQS said I should use only Guttermans thread, I don't. I've bought one spool it sews about the same as my Connecting Threads spools. I have a Janome as well.

I have a Bernina 1080 and a singer. Both machine's love Gutterman thread. I buy it on sale at Joanne amd use it almost exclusively because of the price. One day I will move to sulky and maderia.

Terry I notice that you have a designer 1 did you get 2 throat plates with your machine I only got the zigzag plate I am looking for the straight stitch plate. Thanks Shrabar

A lot of great tips here regarding spool wrap. For finicky thread, I try to make sure the bobbin and top are compatible (same weight or lighter weight bobbin) use a thread stand, or else my home-made thread feeder using a clean empty jar on the floor and a taped paper clip on the machine for an eye, then thread machine normally. I think this lets the thread untwist more, less breaks when sewing.

Senior Member ORSunshineQuilter's Avatar
    Although I have become a Superior thread user, I have used Guterman thread on my Janomes for many years and have never encountered a problem. Usually when someone in a store tells me not to use a thread (if it is one they don't carry), I question their veracity. After all, they want to sell you THEIR brand of thread. I highly recommend Superior threads! Guterman is my #2 favorite

I used to use Gutterman a lot, but lately it seems to have a lot of lint in my Bernina. I use M,ettler Aurifil, Superior, Sulky with no problems & hardly any lint

Quote Originally Posted by shrabar
    Terry I notice that you have a designer 1 did you get 2 throat plates with your machine I only got the zigzag plate I am looking for the straight stitch plate. Thanks Shrabar
    I bought one on Ebay when I had my Designer 1.

Quote Originally Posted by mindybw
    A lot of great tips here regarding spool wrap. For finicky thread, I try to make sure the bobbin and top are compatible (same weight or lighter weight bobbin) use a thread stand, or else my home-made thread feeder using a clean empty jar on the floor and a taped paper clip on the machine for an eye, then thread machine normally. I think this lets the thread untwist more, less breaks when sewing.
    That is what I do with Metalic thread on my embroidery machine. The further away from the thread guide the better it sews.

When I got my first serger and where I got from told my to use only pure cotton thread still use thecotton poly I asked the husquvarna repair man and he said it does not matter what you use just clean the machine often, the women at the shop when you walked in they would snicker in back of their hands and point to the thread and make you feel like you were durt under their feet , I took it to another store after that

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast