Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Lotion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-lotion-t69922.html)

clem55 10-13-2010 01:33 PM

I am going to try that recipe! My daughter and I both have very dry hands and legs, and the boys all work with their hands and on their feet all day( they work at Toyota) and they get such dry hands callouses , maybe this will work for them. Hubby's hands will crack open they get so dry. We do use Nuetragena and that helps a lot. I've been using the Olay age defying lotion, and I love it. Smells good, soaks in and leaves my hands nice and soft. My mother always said to warm Vasoline, rub it on and wear gloves while you sleep.

sewmuch 10-13-2010 01:48 PM

Bag balm here too....but...I'm going to try Bellaboo's recipe for lotion....

Ramona Byrd 10-13-2010 02:05 PM

I absolutely love Hoof Maker. I use it all over my body after a shower, and often since I wash my hands frequently while volunteering. Even the nurses use it. And I use the companion Shampoo and Conditioner. The hand cream soaks in easily and I've never noticed anything showing up on my fabrics or clothing.
It's cheap and easy to find, I get it in grocery stores or some drug stores or feed stores, most of those carry it.

cjr 10-13-2010 02:21 PM

I use Lantiseptic. It is an adult skin barrier for incontinence. In simple terms butt paSTE. For me works much better then bag balm. I love Mary Kay 4 step hand care, but as someone mentioned earlier a little expensive. This I usually have to have pharmcist order in. Only takes a day or two. Lasts long time. Comes in different sizes. I buy 14 oz size.

lab fairy 10-13-2010 03:24 PM

I use Udder Balm which you can get almost anywhere vet supplies are sold in agricultural states. (I buy mine at Tractor Supply.) If you can find a cow somewhere you can find this stuff. :-)

tdgiffin 10-13-2010 03:31 PM

I have very dry hands. In the past i have tried every kind of lotion, and even parrafin treatments. My knuckles would split open, and my fingertips would crack.

I now have found soething that totally keeps my hands soft and healed. it is the hand lotion that Aveda makes. it is all natural and it smells very clean. I use it at night, and after doing dishes. I would not put it on right before sewing though. As long as you do not go crazy with it, it soaks right into your skin, and heals it immediately without stinging.

The other trick that does work is to put heavy hand cream or vaseline on your hands over night with cotton gloves on. When you get up the next day, all you have to do is wash your hands of there is any residue. they will stay soft and pretty all day.

p38flygirl 10-13-2010 03:39 PM

I love the Satin Hands from Mary Kay..I have a friend that sells it...In the set you have a scrub that you cleanse your hands with along with a cleanser and then a hand cream...You can buy the set with a scent or without..I have really dry skin and also take chemo which adds to the dryness...This stuff is really great...When I sew I keep the hand cream by my machine....

angelwatcher 10-13-2010 03:43 PM

DH washes cars and his hands felt like sandpaper. He went to the Dollar Tree Store and bought Creamy Petroleum Jelly enriched with Vitamin E. It's called a skin softener. It comes in a 4 oz. tube. It absorbs fast and doesn't leave your hands feeling greasy. His hands are nice and soft now. I love it too.

featherweight 10-13-2010 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Here is a great hand body lotion to make. I make up a big batch every Christmas for guild members. I buy pretty little tins/jars and everyone loves it. I use it at night and my skin is never dry, not even my feet.

All ingredients are Dollar Store General Brand. You may find the vitamin E cream and Vaseline in smaller jars but use 16oz each.
The clean up is quick and not messy.

Bottle of Baby Lotion (16 ounces)
Jar of Vitamin E Cream (16 ounces)
Jar of Vaseline (16 ounces)

Mix all together with mixer until light and creamy and put in containers.

That is just like my recipe only I use 2 baby lotion, 2 Vitamin e cream and 1 vaseline. My husband even likes this lotion.

mamaw 10-13-2010 05:30 PM

I like Udder Cream and Bath & Bodyworks' Shea Cashmire.