Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand quilting a gfg (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-gfg-t264271.html)

lynnie 04-21-2015 12:46 PM

If you use flannel wash and dry it super hot 2 times so it shrinks.
I did mine on the machine (DHM) and used the serpentine stitch.
I knew it would b difficult to do by hand. good luck Maybe just use the flannel

117becca 04-22-2015 01:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here's a GFG that I have quilted. I just quilt close - shadow quilting because the hexies are too small to go 1/4" away from the edge. As i said earlier, my stitches aren't as small as normal since i'm going thru multiple layers, they are even, so that is good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517721[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517722[/ATTACH]

isewman 04-22-2015 09:32 AM

I had a lady friend give me a grg quilt top. She said I could do what ever I want to do with it. After makeing a trip to a quilt shop, in Kalona, Ia. And checking out how some of gfg were hand quilted. I came home, and hand quilted the 4,200 hex's with a 1/4'' inside each hex's. In time I did a lap size grg, also, for a friend.

judykay 04-24-2015 03:31 PM

I solved my problem. I took it apart and discovered I had not cut away the background fabric like i thought i had. The backing was also very stiff so i diluted fabric softener in a spray bottle and sprayed the fabric whic worked. I cut the background fabric away from the flower area only and switched to warm and natural batting . I quilted one section with a swirling heart design and it quilted like a dream. Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. My other dilemma is what to work on, i have two quilts in the handquilting process and another one in the piecing stage which is going to be a wedding gift. My problem is i need to be in the mood to work on a certain project or nothing turns out right on it and right now is not the mood for anything.

lots2do 05-03-2015 04:17 PM

Thank you for starting this post and thank you, all, for your suggestions. I have my own gfg started but stalled thinking about the quilting. Am feeling energized about getting back to it!

sewbelle52 05-03-2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by judykay (Post 7175729)
I solved my problem. I took it apart and discovered I had not cut away the background fabric like i thought i had. The backing was also very stiff so i diluted fabric softener in a spray bottle and sprayed the fabric whic worked. I cut the background fabric away from the flower area only and switched to warm and natural batting . I quilted one section with a swirling heart design and it quilted like a dream. Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. My other dilemma is what to work on, i have two quilts in the handquilting process and another one in the piecing stage which is going to be a wedding gift. My problem is i need to be in the mood to work on a certain project or nothing turns out right on it and right now is not the mood for anything.

Oh I am the same way!! When I was young and in 4-H, my mother and I would get in the biggest arguments about my sewing on my projects. I would say the same thing--I have to be in the mood or it is RIP RIP RIP!! My mother is 84 yrs. old now. Wait til I tell her someone is just like me!!