Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand quilting a gfg (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-gfg-t264271.html)

judykay 04-20-2015 07:20 PM

hand quilting a gfg

Has any one hand quilted a gfg and what type of quilting design did you use. It is going to be a wall hanging so my other question is do i need either batting or flannel or can i quilt without either one. I started hand quilting it and am having a difficult time getting the needle through all the layers. I did cut away the background fabric where the flowers are but there is still a lot of fabric within the hexagons and my needle just doesn't want to go through. I started out with polyester batting, replaced it with Pelons cotton batting but it made no diffrrence in trying to quilt it.

Any suggestions will be more th a n welcome. I have already changed the batting out twice and am thinking of flannel but not sure if it will be any easier to quilt.

Sisty88 04-21-2015 12:19 AM

I can't really help with the batting, because I don't know enough about the different types.

I have handquilted a gfg though! I used perle cotton thread and did big stitch quilting, because I didn't think I'd be able to get nice small stitches. I also did all the quilting 1/4" away from the seams (I marked them with 1/4" tape) which probably helped! I used cotton/bamboo wadding in mine.

Also, are you using a new needle? I've found that they blunt quite quickly, or get tarnished which makes it very difficult to pull through (never knew that before I did my gfg, I thought needles lasted forever! It was a bit like when you change your rotary blade and think "why did I not do this until now!") I'm piecing another hexie quilt atm and am using clover black gold needles, which have a special coating on them which helps them glide through a bit easier, don't know if they'd be any good for quilting, but I thought it might be worth a mention!

117becca 04-21-2015 02:08 AM

I stitched around every single hexagon - my stitches weren't as small an in other projects due to the seams, but that is ok..I did figure out a way to stitch "straight" as much as i could to keep from starting and stopping. It made it go quicker.

I tried to upload a photo and can't do that right now...sigh...

Tartan 04-21-2015 04:50 AM

A lot of antique GFG were quilted 1/4 inch inside each hexagon so that they didn't have to quilt through the seam allowances. Quilting through cotton batting is harder than quikting through polyester because the cotton tends to grab the needle. If you want to quilt through the seams, consider using the "stab" stitch in those areas.

ManiacQuilter2 04-21-2015 05:14 AM

Usually, it is a 1/4" inside each hexagon. I saw on quiltmekiwi.blogspot.com did some nice petals with quilting on a DSM. I really am considering trying that on my GFG.

Just check this out and you need to go to her menu at the bottom and select EPP. Love the petals.

Tartan 04-21-2015 07:33 AM

Great site Maniacquilter2! I will have to explore it more at a later date. I love the almost Orange Peel design in the hexagons by machine but it could be continuous line stitched by hand. You would only have to run your needle a short distance at one corner to hand quilt the next hexie. Good find!

francie yuhas 04-21-2015 08:55 AM

I quilted one..1/4 inch next to each hexie seam. I used a light weight wool batting( needles like butter). I had 11/4 inch hexies and managed about 6 stitches per inch. Try one of the tulip brand steel needles...they flex,but don't bend. If you stay a little away from the seam allowance,it should be easier.

Jessie R 04-21-2015 11:54 AM

Hi, I am a new member. Quilting about 2 years. Been reading posts to gain info from you veteran quilters.
Question: the "light weight wool batting" mentioned by francie yuhas: does it shrink when washed? I have lived in the south all my life and am not that familar with wool except in an occasional sweater.

Jessie R 04-21-2015 12:00 PM

Hi, I am a new member. Quilting about 2 years. Been reading posts to gain info from you veteran quilters.
Question: the "light weight wool batting" mentioned by francie yuhas: does it shrink when washed? I have lived in the south all my life and am not that familar with wool except in an occasional sweater.

Jessie R 04-21-2015 12:00 PM

Sorry for duplicate posts :-(