Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting - how to finish (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-how-finish-t163060.html)

SueDid 10-25-2011 09:25 AM

I don't know if you do this already, but if you lightly rub your finger or thumbnail on the knot while you're popping through, it's a lot less likely to break because it helps slide the threads around a little to make room for it.

Becka 10-25-2011 09:41 AM

<--- is also a knot-popper...

mpspeedy 10-25-2011 09:47 AM

What you are doing is what I have always done. I have probably handquilted hundreds of items from kingsize quilts to things as small as pockets. I have never had a problem with it coming out.

AshleyR 10-26-2011 02:30 AM

I did this last night, and it works!! I had a little trouble getting the knot in the loop, but that's probably because I don't have longer fingernails (or a handy tweezer!)
I pulled it through to the back, but beggars can't be choosers!!!
Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by SueDid
Put your needle through where you want the knot to go in, then grab the knot with the loop and pop it through. The needle eye may make the hole a little bigger, which should make the knot go through more easily, and you can just rub your fingernl over the hole to close it up.

handstitched 10-26-2011 02:50 AM

I've watched quilters knot off but the way I finish is to thread through 4-5 times between batting going back & forth

teddysmom 10-26-2011 03:48 AM

I'm new at hand quilting but never could get the right sized knot to pull through the fabric. SO, I found another method in a quilting book. Insert needle about 1" from starting point, making sure it runs through the batting, then when you begin hand quilting, you will be sewing over the thread that you just inserted between the batting. I do the same thing at the end--insert the needle and pull it about 1" through the batting and cut. Do these instructions make any sense?

LindaMRB 10-26-2011 04:42 AM

I've been doing it that way too and found this basic method somewhere on the web. What I learned from that source was to pull the knot and thread through the same hole you just came out of.

I have had my knots come out on the back and I have to re-bury them, so I leave enough thread on the end to just barely thread a needle. I also make sure my knot is big enough, but not too big to pull the fabric weave and mess it up.
Does this make sense?

teddysmom 10-26-2011 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
I'm new at hand quilting but never could get the right sized knot to pull through the fabric. SO, I found another method in a quilting book. Insert needle about 1" from starting point, making sure it runs through the batting, then when you begin hand quilting, you will be sewing over the thread that you just inserted between the batting. I do the same thing at the end--insert the needle and pull it about 1" through the batting and cut. Do these instructions make any sense?

With this method there is no knot. The thread is caught up in the quilting stitches.

ladypetite 10-26-2011 05:08 AM

I am so glad you asked this question. This is how I do it also...knot and pop....but had wondered if I was doing it wrong.

Val in IN 10-26-2011 05:29 AM

I'm a "knot popper" too. I took a handquilting class and this is the way I was taught. Has always worked for me.