Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting - how to finish (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-how-finish-t163060.html)

lfw045 10-26-2011 08:12 AM

I always end at the side of the quilt and just pull the needle through the batting to the outside of the edge and leave a tail. When I put on the binding it catches it and secures it.

cyd 10-26-2011 12:51 PM

I really like the idea of having extra on both ends of the thread so the knot can be hidden again if necessary.

Stacey 10-26-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by barny
I have handquilted 2 or 3 quilts, and that is the way I finish off. Just pull it through. I've never seen any other way, except maybe backstitch once before pulling it through.

I was told to take a tiny backstitch then knot and pop it thru.

LivelyLady 10-26-2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
That's how I've been doing it for years!

Same here.

mariebaker 10-26-2011 03:07 PM

that's the way I do it too-

cdmmiracles 10-26-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I have been handquilting for a very long time, so this is sort of a silly question to ask NOW. I was quilting last night and thought to myself if I should actually be finishing off a different way. Typically, I just make a knot & pop it through the middle of the batting to bury it, but wonder if I need to be doing some other sort of lock stitch first? :shock:

Does this leave a hole in the backing?

Happy Treadler 10-26-2011 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by cdmmiracles

I have been handquilting for a very long time, so this is sort of a silly question to ask NOW. I was quilting last night and thought to myself if I should actually be finishing off a different way. Typically, I just make a knot & pop it through the middle of the batting to bury it, but wonder if I need to be doing some other sort of lock stitch first? :shock:

Nope because my knot is actually stuck in between the front and back inside the batting. I make my knot, insert my threaded needle into the same hole my ending thread comes out of to the middle of the batting and not out the back. I run my fingernail where the knot's going into, and it helps to open the threads a bit to get it through & I'm coming back up to the top & carefully clip right against the top with curved scissors. Quilted a bit tonight, and started doing a tiny backstitch before making my knot & burying it, but still can't figure out the technique suggested here with the holding of the thread inside the batting.

mojo11 10-26-2011 06:47 PM

That is how I do mine too.

Kristin in ME 10-27-2011 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by cdmmiracles

There will be a small hole right where the knot went through- just run the tip of the needle gently back and forth over it and the hole will close back up.