Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-question-t192356.html)

hsweany 06-21-2012 03:50 AM

Hand quilting question

I want to try hand quilting. I am going to attemp a pillow top. The first time I tried I thought I would do a quilt....too much! My question is how many thimbles do you use? I have watched several YouTube tutorials and some of those ladies use 3. Also which finger do you put yours on? Any other suggestions. Thimble type? Thanks so much!

Trene 06-21-2012 04:11 AM

I use one thimble on the middle finger of my top hand (for me that is my right hand). I do not use one on my under-hand, but my finger tip does get sore! I went through a lot of thimbles until I found one that works for me - my problem was that I was getting them too big! Luckily they are mostly inexpensive. I am learning new techniques for hand quilting (I learned to quilt as a child) and am finding that I have more control without a hoop, and as my rocking gets getter, I am poking my under finger less. I really like the Thimblelady videos - I don't do it exactly her way, but she has great ideas!
Good luck, hand quilting is wonderful, as is this Board for support!

117becca 06-21-2012 04:20 AM

I use a coin thimble on the middle finger of my top hand (also right hand) Coin thimble is leather w/ a metal dimple piece over the pad of the finger.

It does take practice, draw yourself some lines and see how it goes...And most of all - have fun!!

Hinterland 06-21-2012 04:21 AM

Every quilter has their own preference - there is no right or wrong, so long as your stitches go all the way through the sandwich and are relatively even.

I use one thimble, on my middle finger of the top hand. Some quilters use a thimble on their index finger instead.

Some thimbles have a ridge on the top to hold the needle. I use the pad of my finger, so I bought a Roxanne thimble which as nice, deep dimples to hold the needle.

Janet

cdmmiracles 06-21-2012 04:38 AM

I like the all leather thimble (looks like a little glove)! I put it on index finger of right/top hand.

feline fanatic 06-21-2012 05:41 AM

I use NO thimble. I push the needle with my fingernail. When I get to the point that I have drilled a hole through my nail then I use a TJ Lane thimble but I have to start my stitches with no thimble. Once started I slip the thimble on to load the needle up and push it through the sandwich. But my preferered method is naked fingers.

Jan in VA 06-21-2012 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5305391)
I use NO thimble. I push the needle with my fingernail......my preferered method is naked fingers.

So glad you said that as I do it, too, and have had more than a few raised eyebrows as people see me. I don't care, whatever works FOR YOU, I say!

Jan in VA

Borntohandquilt 06-21-2012 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland (Post 5305119)
Every quilter has their own preference - there is no right or wrong, so long as your stitches go all the way through the sandwich and are relatively even.

I completely agree with that. It's also a matter of the technique you use, how you hold your needle etc. I don't use a thimble at all and I don't have sore fingers - but I think this is the result of 6-8 hours hand quilting per day. My finger tips are used to the needle.

Kyiav10 06-21-2012 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by hsweany (Post 5305039)
I want to try hand quilting. I am going to attemp a pillow top. The first time I tried I thought I would do a quilt....too much! My question is how many thimbles do you use? I have watched several YouTube tutorials and some of those ladies use 3. Also which finger do you put yours on? Any other suggestions. Thimble type? Thanks so much!

I use a leather thimble on my right middle finger to rock the needle. I use my left thumb nail under the quilt to poke at and help guide the needle. I use my right thumb nail to poke at the top and help guide.

You can PM me if you have any other questions.

Kyia

ckcowl 06-21-2012 12:38 PM

i do not use any thimble- thimbles are a personal choice- use what you are comfortable with & works for you-