Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand quilting question

Hand quilting question

I want to try hand quilting. I am going to attemp a pillow top. The first time I tried I thought I would do a quilt....too much! My question is how many thimbles do you use? I have watched several YouTube tutorials and some of those ladies use 3. Also which finger do you put yours on? Any other suggestions. Thimble type? Thanks so much!
    Holly

I use one thimble on the middle finger of my top hand (for me that is my right hand). I do not use one on my under-hand, but my finger tip does get sore! I went through a lot of thimbles until I found one that works for me - my problem was that I was getting them too big! Luckily they are mostly inexpensive. I am learning new techniques for hand quilting (I learned to quilt as a child) and am finding that I have more control without a hoop, and as my rocking gets getter, I am poking my under finger less. I really like the Thimblelady videos - I don't do it exactly her way, but she has great ideas!
    Good luck, hand quilting is wonderful, as is this Board for support!
    Last edited by Trene; 06-21-2012 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    ​tea

I use a coin thimble on the middle finger of my top hand (also right hand) Coin thimble is leather w/ a metal dimple piece over the pad of the finger.

It does take practice, draw yourself some lines and see how it goes...And most of all - have fun!!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Every quilter has their own preference - there is no right or wrong, so long as your stitches go all the way through the sandwich and are relatively even.

I use one thimble, on my middle finger of the top hand. Some quilters use a thimble on their index finger instead.

Some thimbles have a ridge on the top to hold the needle. I use the pad of my finger, so I bought a Roxanne thimble which as nice, deep dimples to hold the needle.

Janet

I like the all leather thimble (looks like a little glove)! I put it on index finger of right/top hand.

I use NO thimble. I push the needle with my fingernail. When I get to the point that I have drilled a hole through my nail then I use a TJ Lane thimble but I have to start my stitches with no thimble. Once started I slip the thimble on to load the needle up and push it through the sandwich. But my preferered method is naked fingers.
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 06-21-2012 at 05:43 AM.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I use NO thimble. I push the needle with my fingernail......my preferered method is naked fingers.
    So glad you said that as I do it, too, and have had more than a few raised eyebrows as people see me. I don't care, whatever works FOR YOU, I say!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    Every quilter has their own preference - there is no right or wrong, so long as your stitches go all the way through the sandwich and are relatively even.
    I completely agree with that. It's also a matter of the technique you use, how you hold your needle etc. I don't use a thimble at all and I don't have sore fingers - but I think this is the result of 6-8 hours hand quilting per day. My finger tips are used to the needle.

Quote Originally Posted by hsweany View Post
    I want to try hand quilting. I am going to attemp a pillow top. The first time I tried I thought I would do a quilt....too much! My question is how many thimbles do you use? I have watched several YouTube tutorials and some of those ladies use 3. Also which finger do you put yours on? Any other suggestions. Thimble type? Thanks so much!
    I use a leather thimble on my right middle finger to rock the needle. I use my left thumb nail under the quilt to poke at and help guide the needle. I use my right thumb nail to poke at the top and help guide.

You can PM me if you have any other questions.

Kyia
    I love to do binding.

Blog Entries
    i do not use any thimble- thimbles are a personal choice- use what you are comfortable with & works for you-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I use a thimble with a ridge on the middle finger of my 'top' hand and nothing on the finger underneath. After you have quilted for a while you will develop a callous on the bottom finger which will help a lot.
    If you quilt regularly you will keep that callous.

I use one thimble, a metal one. As I have worn holes through several metal thimbles, I have never bothered to try a leather one!