Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-question-t62170.html)

QuiltMania 08-30-2010 07:39 AM

When counting how many stitches per inch, do you count the ones on the back too or only the ones that show up on the front?

Lacelady 08-30-2010 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
When counting how many stitches per inch, do you count the ones on the back too or only the ones that show up on the front?

I don't know either, I have always wondered.

Bluphrog 08-30-2010 07:52 AM

I believe you count both.

Jeanniejo 08-30-2010 08:00 AM

I have hand quilted for years and have always counted the stitches on the front. I found this answer on Ask.com. How are stitches per inch counted? About half of the quilters I know count only the ones that show on top. The other half count both top and bottom and divide by two. Which way is right? We haven't decided yet. Forget what you've heard about having to have 15 stitches to the inch, though. That's a fantasy of people with too much time on their hands. A beginner can expect to get 5-7 stitches per inch, and an experienced or professional quilter can do about 12 after years of practice. Most of us are in the 9-10 range.

Hope this helps.

Rebecca VLQ 08-30-2010 08:10 AM

Oh, I'm so excited to try my hand at this! And I'd be happy to get 8 per inch!

Holice 08-30-2010 08:10 AM

it depends on who you talk to. When asked how many stitches you do per inch ALWAYS ask back "how do you count stitches" and answer accordingly.

As a quilt judge - there is no correct way to count - only top or top and bottom.

So don't sweat the question. Just work to achieve the smallest you can or are satisfied with and work to evenness and consistent penetration to the back.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-30-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
I have hand quilted for years and have always counted the stitches on the front. I found this answer on Ask.com. How are stitches per inch counted? About half of the quilters I know count only the ones that show on top. The other half count both top and bottom and divide by two. Which way is right? We haven't decided yet. Forget what you've heard about having to have 15 stitches to the inch, though. That's a fantasy of people with too much time on their hands. A beginner can expect to get 5-7 stitches per inch, and an experienced or professional quilter can do about 12 after years of practice. Most of us are in the 9-10 range.

Hope this helps.

Great info. Laughed at the part about people with too much time on their hands hee hee So true!! :thumbup:

I also think consistency is more important than size. And the more you quilt the better you get at it! :D

Jeanniejo 08-30-2010 08:39 AM

I agree . My MIL quilts and she says she does 12 stitches to the inch. I've counted them several times and counting front and back I only count 6 !! Guess it's another no "Quilt Police" area :roll:

feline fanatic 08-30-2010 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Personally I think too much emphasis is put on stitches per inch. I do what I can and what I think looks good. If I hold a ruler up to my straight line quilting I am usually in that 9 to 10 range counting only stitches on the top. Here is a picture of my current project. The straight line of quilting near the top of the picture (one side of a triangle) is 1" long

dragon quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107485[/ATTACH]

Rebecca VLQ 08-30-2010 09:37 AM

^^^^WoooooO! Love that!!