Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand quilting question

When counting how many stitches per inch, do you count the ones on the back too or only the ones that show up on the front?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltMania
    When counting how many stitches per inch, do you count the ones on the back too or only the ones that show up on the front?
    I don't know either, I have always wondered.

I believe you count both.

I have hand quilted for years and have always counted the stitches on the front. I found this answer on Ask.com. How are stitches per inch counted? About half of the quilters I know count only the ones that show on top. The other half count both top and bottom and divide by two. Which way is right? We haven't decided yet. Forget what you've heard about having to have 15 stitches to the inch, though. That's a fantasy of people with too much time on their hands. A beginner can expect to get 5-7 stitches per inch, and an experienced or professional quilter can do about 12 after years of practice. Most of us are in the 9-10 range.

Hope this helps.

Oh, I'm so excited to try my hand at this! And I'd be happy to get 8 per inch!

Banned
    it depends on who you talk to. When asked how many stitches you do per inch ALWAYS ask back "how do you count stitches" and answer accordingly.

As a quilt judge - there is no correct way to count - only top or top and bottom.

So don't sweat the question. Just work to achieve the smallest you can or are satisfied with and work to evenness and consistent penetration to the back.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
    I have hand quilted for years and have always counted the stitches on the front. I found this answer on Ask.com. How are stitches per inch counted? About half of the quilters I know count only the ones that show on top. The other half count both top and bottom and divide by two. Which way is right? We haven't decided yet. Forget what you've heard about having to have 15 stitches to the inch, though. That's a fantasy of people with too much time on their hands. A beginner can expect to get 5-7 stitches per inch, and an experienced or professional quilter can do about 12 after years of practice. Most of us are in the 9-10 range.

Hope this helps.
    Great info. Laughed at the part about people with too much time on their hands hee hee So true!! :thumbup:

I also think consistency is more important than size. And the more you quilt the better you get at it! :D

I agree . My MIL quilts and she says she does 12 stitches to the inch. I've counted them several times and counting front and back I only count 6 !! Guess it's another no "Quilt Police" area :roll:

Personally I think too much emphasis is put on stitches per inch. I do what I can and what I think looks good. If I hold a ruler up to my straight line quilting I am usually in that 9 to 10 range counting only stitches on the top. Here is a picture of my current project. The straight line of quilting near the top of the picture (one side of a triangle) is 1" long

dragon quilting
    Name:  Attachment-107480.jpe
Views: 98
Size:  132.3 KB

^^^^WoooooO! Love that!!

In my experience the number of stitches per inch depends a lot of the fabric, the batting and the quilting thread you use. With a material that is easy to hand quilt I can reach 13 or 14 stitches, only counted on the top. With a thicker batting I make 10 or 11. I don't care so much about the number of stitches - I try to quilt as even as possible.

Blog Entries
    12 stitches per inch counted from the front only would be pretty small stitches. Look at the eighth or sixteenth inch markings on your ruler. Sounds almost impossible to me. I'm doing good if I can get 6, but I'm satisfied with that. :)

Well, I think I've got the consistent stitch length down. I was just wondering because my stitches look pretty small but they are nowhere near 10 or 12 on the front.

Maybe they *are* small, but you're digging deep on the back side, so there's more blank space between stitches?

I only care that the stitches are consistent.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    In my experience the number of stitches per inch depends a lot of the fabric, the batting and the quilting thread you use. With a material that is easy to hand quilt I can reach 13 or 14 stitches, only counted on the top. With a thicker batting I make 10 or 11. I don't care so much about the number of stitches - I try to quilt as even as possible.
    You do magnificent hand quilting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always love seeing your work! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I had my first quilt in a frame YEARS ago and a friend brought her grandma with her for something?, anyway she was an oldtime quilter - I asked her about my quilting stitches and she said "that as long as your toe nails don't get caught up in the stitches, it was OK"!!!!!

people count their hand stitching? :shock:

I just get mine done...