Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting stich size (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-stich-size-t187213.html)

Borntohandquilt 04-26-2012 07:33 AM

I have learned one very important thing during the years since I have started hand quilting: there is no "wrong" or "right". What works best for you can be bad for me. Every hand quilter seems to have her/his own favourites in battings, needles, threads, fabrics, gadgets and notions etc. and the best thing to find out what works for you is to try it! Well, it will probably takes some time to work it out but you will find your own way.
My personal favourits are #11 John James Betweens, a low loft batting without a scrim (Hobbs 80/20, Legacy 80/20, Wool), YLI Hand Quilting Thread and light weight fabrics like P&B Color Spectrum. I only load one single stitch on my needle, I quilt in a hoop on a floor stand and I don't use a thimble at all. But this is just my personal way of hand quilting....:)

Kitsie 04-26-2012 07:41 AM

Can relate! I'm just starting a B&W but using black thread on big white blocks. I use a #10 Roxanne and just my GUtermann's thread. I use Dream Orient Batting - silk, bamboo, cotton & ?Tercel? It's wonderful to quilt through.! No hope or frame either. My stitches are not really small, but they are becoming more even and I'm happy with that. We could call it "Sashiko"!

Originally Posted by Jodi3284 (Post 5170923)
Good to know I choose a difficult batting :) I never considered wool but will give it a try next time around. Of course this one is driving me crazy because it is a black and white quilt, black backing and white thread so every stitch is screaming "look at me!!" lol

Jodi3284 04-26-2012 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a pic... no perfection here but there can be no doubt it was hand stitched lol
[ATTACH=CONFIG]330673[/ATTACH]

Hinterland 04-26-2012 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jodi3284 (Post 5171679)
Heres a pic... no perfection here but there can be no doubt it was hand stitched lol

I don't think you have anything to worry about - it looks great!

Janet

Jodi3284 04-26-2012 10:04 AM

Thank you!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-26-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland (Post 5171697)
I don't think you have anything to worry about - it looks great!

Janet

I agree! Your stitches are very even and that is tough to do. All the proficient hand quilters say tiny stitches come over time. Keep stitching and be proud of what you have going there. It is beautiful.

Kitsie 04-26-2012 10:23 AM

Way to go, Jodi! I like it!

cwessel47 04-26-2012 10:24 AM

My favorite batting is Mountain Mist Light. It is a dream to quilt through, still puffs up nicely to show off the quilting, and is nice and warm. It is also less expensive. For purists though - it is not a "natural" product. Great for wall hangings - which is a good place to start for a new hand quilter. I do not use a frame or a hoop. I hand baste 4-6" apart and quilt in my lap. You can "bend" the fabric with your non-quilting hand to get those stitches smaller. But the real answer to your question is just to keep doing it. Practice, practice, practice. The stitches will be smaller, and more even, before you know it.

Jodi3284 04-26-2012 10:54 AM

You are all so kind! I was getting so discouraged after pulling out a quilt done by a wonderful lady who has been quilting for years. Thank you for reassuring me and helping me get back into the spirit! And all the tips are just amazing I cant wait to try them all and show you all the finished product :)

Jodi3284 04-26-2012 11:19 AM

Just watched video, very informative! Thank you for posting.

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 5171208)
I am also a new quilter and I love hand quilting. Except my hands don't. :( Have you tried quilting without a hoop? I found it much easier to get a consistent small stitch. Review my photos if you like, not bragging, just as a refernce from a fellow New Quilter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDcLMiR2SAo