Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting stich size >

Hand quilting stich size

Hand quilting stich size

Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 AM

Default Hand quilting stich size

I am hand quilting my second quilt ever and am completely in awe when I see how tiny the stitches of someone who knows what they are doing actually are! My stitches are HUGE and I have no idea how anyone makes them as tiny as they do. Any suggestions on making smaller stitches? I turn the needle up as soon as it goes through the sandwich and still get big ol stitches and even more so where a seam is! I am loving quilting and doing it by hand regardless of the size just hope to learn how to tiny them up
Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 AM
Banned

what size and kind of needle are you using....and the thread
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 AM

Im using Roxanne #11 hand quilting needles and coats and clark hand quilting thread. Batting is warm and white on this one but stitches were big with poly batting too... I probably should have practices with straight stitches first but Im using a continuous heart pattern. Which products do you prefer?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

The batting makes a difference too. I find W&N the worst for handquilting, very difficult to needle. I prefer poly or a cotton poly blend and my next HQ project will be wool, I understand that is a dream to HQ.

Also, there is nothing wrong with big stitches as long as they are all even. I love the look of big stitch handquilting, especially when done with a heavier weight thread.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Are you using a lap hoop a frame or nothing? If using a lap hoop don't have it too tight in the hoop. should be loose.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 AM

Good to know I choose a difficult batting I never considered wool but will give it a try next time around. Of course this one is driving me crazy because it is a black and white quilt, black backing and white thread so every stitch is screaming "look at me!!" lol
Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

When I hand quilt, I load a number 10 quilting needle with as many stitches as I can before pulling it through with a rubber needle grabber. I only use the "stab"stitch over seams. Believe it or not, after the first stitch is loaded on the needle the next stitches are easier to put on. I use my index finger with a thimble to rock the needle towards the thumb on the same hand. The hand underneath is used to just feel the needle (tiny pick) coming through the sandwich. When you just feel the pick, that is when it is time to rock the needle back up to the top of the sandwich for the next stitch.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:31 AM

I tried to use a lap hoop and had terrible luck so I dont use anything. Of course I found out afterwords that I had the fabric too tight and thats why I couldnt get it right and now Im used to nothing. I was lucky enough to just inherit an amazing quilting rack from my husbands 97 year old grandmother. This rack hangs from the ceiling and my husband has so many memories of his dear grandmother always having a quilt she was working on hanging from the ceiling. I hope to get it up and learn to use it soon!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:36 AM

Another factor, in the size of stitches, is HOW you make them. It's easier to make small stitches, if you insert the needle straight down into the quilt, all the way through the layers. Then come straight up, from the back/bottom. This is a bit more tedious but will result in smaller, more controlled stitches. If you've ever done counted cross stitch, the technique is much the same.

That said, there's nothing wrong with larger stitches!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 AM

Ditto to what everyone else suggested. Also, it's easier to make smaller stitches if you go on the bias instead of on grain - there's more flex in the top that way.

I get my smallest stitches with polyester batting. I'm using wool right now, and I like that it has more "puff" than thin polyester, but I don't think it's that much easier to quilt.

Using a quilt frame is a whole different experience because you can't turn the quilt around like you can with a hoop. I use a frame, but I taught myself to quilt in different directions in order to use it.

Janet