Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-t92697.html)

quilter1943 01-23-2011 08:42 AM

I still hand quilt some, but find for my daughter, her husband and her sons the machine quilting holds up better because they definitely use their quilts and they are laundered often. It's always special to me when she sends them home with me to be repaired because they love them and have used them so much. My grandmother hand quilted and I won a judge's award for my hand quilting on a small whole cloth quilt. It's one I will treasure for years to come.

quilter1943 01-23-2011 08:47 AM

I love the quilt block on your barn. Have you been a part of any of the tours?

Originally Posted by manley
I only do hand quilting. I would like to do some machine quilting but I do not like the look of machine quilting. I know, I'm old fashioned. It does take a lot of time but it is very relaxing to me. Give it a try and see what you think. :-D

maddenkids8 01-23-2011 09:27 AM

I machine quilt the top together but I always hand quilt the layers. I have made several quilts for Quilts for Kids program and those they have requested to be machine quilted together. I find the time spent hand quilting to be relaxing and a great time to listen to books on tape or just dream and plan.

maryb119 01-23-2011 09:30 AM

I hand quilt. I always have a quilt on the frame. I do some machine quilting and if I want something machine quilted, I take it to my mom who is a long arm quilter.

SandraD 01-23-2011 09:48 AM

I'm a hand quilter. I would like to learn machine quilting only because of the beautiful designs - It's truly an art! For now though, I like to hand quilt.

Iamquilter 01-23-2011 09:50 AM

I only hand quilt and do lots of it. Just finished a 89x113 quilt for the school which is having a fund raiser on Feb. 13. I have done hundreds of quilts for people all over the USA.

Laura3 01-23-2011 10:10 AM

Hinterland....Thanks for your response....I do hand quilt and if I am not tired and concentrate on what I am doing instead of what is on tv I do pretty well. I am always looking for tips to get better, especially with marking.

SandyS 01-23-2011 10:13 AM

Being that I'm so new to quilting, just what is involved in hand quilting and how is it done? Also is it hard to learn machine quilting rather then taking it and having someone do it for you?

02Lcdam 01-23-2011 10:22 AM

I prefer hand quilting. When I machine quilt, I always look at the quilt and think it would look better if only I had hand quilted it. Since I don't have time to hand quilt everything, I am continuing to try to improve my machine quilting, but always have a quilt on my hoop to hand quilt!

Cdamquilter in Walla Walla WA

Quilter54 01-23-2011 10:23 AM

I love to hand quilt. I hand quilted all the grandkids (at least their first one) but also have some machine quilted. Just not enough time to hand quilt every one but I do love it.