Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Happy Solution for Prewash Lesson Learned (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/happy-solution-prewash-lesson-learned-t223200.html)

quilttiger 06-08-2013 12:50 AM

I seldom prewash fabrics except for flannels since they seem to shrink differently depending on the fabric brand. I used to think only the reds would bleed, but I discovered the hard way some blues can bleed, too.

QM 06-08-2013 01:04 AM

I've used a similar method, although for smaller areas, such as flaws in the original printing

solstice3 06-09-2013 06:10 AM

great idea

Tartan 06-09-2013 06:32 AM

I am glad you found a Sharpie that worked because the quilt was sew cute! I will keep it in mind for problem touch ups. I used a Sharpie fine point to colour the thread showing on a quilt recently.

QuiltingVagabond 06-09-2013 06:37 AM

Yes, Tartan, I rememer seeing that and your solution was what made me look for a marker in the first place. So Thank You!

The quilt was a hit at the shower, and my son loved it too! Now just the wait for the little guy to arrive.

quilter2090 06-09-2013 07:21 AM

So glad that your family loved the quilt! And yes, I agree, prewashing is a good way to determine if a fabric is usable or not. I went to my LQS and bought some lovely thick flannel that I was going to make into a wholecloth blanket for my cousin's baby.As I do with all my fabrics, I threw it into the wash and then the dryer. When I took it out of the dryer I noticed a line down the center of the fabric. It was a flaw and it changed my mind about making a blanket from it. The think is, I didn't notice it at the LQS,but after washing and drying I sure noticed it then. I will cut up the fabric,cutting around the flaw. I can still use it, just not for the original purpose. It was a good thing I noticed BEFORE going to all the work of quilting and binding the blanket, and THEN noticing the flaw.

Carol34446 06-09-2013 09:16 AM

Being one of the older generation (almost 67) my mother taught me to prewash, and I do wash whatever fabric comes in the door and dry it. If it does not wash and dry well, why go to bother of using it, knowing every wash will cause problems. This goes for clothes or quilts, and some fabric when washed is crappy, today more so than in the past. Also, it is ready to use with a starch and Iron job. DO NOT starch and iron out of dryer as starch can draw bug, and here in Central FL we have LOTS of bugs.

M.I.Late 06-09-2013 10:35 AM

I have had that happen to me as well. I am a firm believer in pre-washing. I prewash everything as it comes in the door now. It doesn't even get put with the rest until it is washed. This has happened to me only twice - but I'm glad it was fresh from the store so I could return it. (Some of my pieces can sit around for years waiting their turn to be placed into a quilt)

CAS49OR 06-09-2013 02:41 PM

Did you use fabric softener in the wash? I've found, on my sheets, it will leave sections whiter. I bought a new washer now, a top loader, so I have more control over what hits where.

QuiltingVagabond 06-09-2013 02:47 PM

No fabric softener, just detergent and color catchers.