Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Harbor Freight blades - issues with my newest shipment being dull (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/harbor-freight-blades-issues-my-newest-shipment-being-dull-t155359.html)

LucyInTheSky 09-23-2011 09:43 PM

I'm in the group that swears by the Harbor Freight blades. I think they work better than the Olfa ones. Love them.

That being said, last month, I bought 10 packs of 2 since they were on sale. I got them and just opened a pack. Both blades were dull. 1 was ridiculously dull. And the package was difficult to open. I opened a 2nd package, and the blade works, but it isn't incredibly sharp like they usually are.

I'm sending an email to HF right now. I was wondering if it was just a fluke with my shipment or if others have noticed the same issues?

blueangel 09-23-2011 09:49 PM

My last ones were very dull also.

Jim 09-23-2011 10:09 PM

I am still using the 10 packs I bought previously and they are VERY SHARP

np3 09-23-2011 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I'm in the group that swears by the Harbor Freight blades. I think they work better than the Olfa ones. Love them.

That being said, last month, I bought 10 packs of 2 since they were on sale. I got them and just opened a pack. Both blades were dull. 1 was ridiculously dull. And the package was difficult to open. I opened a 2nd package, and the blade works, but it isn't incredibly sharp like they usually are.

I'm sending an email to HF right now. I was wondering if it was just a fluke with my shipment or if others have noticed the same issues?

Yikes, not good news

ckcowl 09-24-2011 02:04 AM

did you by chance get a package of the (recycled) blades?
some shops recycle blades- they are deemed still usable for cutting carpet- which is what they sell them for- the carpet cutters allow alot more pressure to be put into the cut-so the blades are not necessarily that sharp. i think they do say on the package (recycled)
if that's the case you might be able to return them for new blades. depends on the store

Carrie Jo 09-24-2011 04:12 AM

I use them also, and never had a problem.

fabric_fancy 09-24-2011 04:16 AM

i had the exact same problem.

i purchased them because of the rave reviews but they were more dull then the blade it was meant to replace.

i sent them back and won't be wasting my money on them any longer

loves_2_quilt 09-24-2011 04:40 AM

I find they don't seem to last as long as the "real" blades. I think I won't buy anymor Harbor Freight blades.

Originally Posted by blueangel
My last ones were very dull also.

sewmuchmore 09-24-2011 04:45 AM

:shock: oh no, I hope it is only that batch of blades. I love them and the price was wonderful. :roll:

fayzer 09-24-2011 05:56 AM

I bought 11 packages 2 weeks ago and have used one blade for the last 2 weeks on a quilt top, mini bow tuck, 2 clutches, 3 mug rugs and it is still as sharp as ever. For .75 I'll chance it and return any dull ones. $16.50 for 22 blades is great. I could only get 3-4 blades for that price with coupons.