Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Harbor Freight cutting blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/harbor-freight-cutting-blades-t241498.html)

petpainter 02-20-2014 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by JAK (Post 6584101)
I have been seeing on here for years now how people love the Harbor Freight replacement blades for their 45mm rotary cutters. We recently had a Harbor Freight open close to me and I was so excited. Since they were only $1.99 for a package of 2 I bought 2 packages. They are the most horrible blades I have ever used. They have "dead spots" in them so you can't make one cut and have to go over a second time to get the remaining fabric. It is not a clean cut it is somewhat jagged. The second unopened package is going back. I will wait until I either have a coupon or they go on sale at Joanne and buy them there.

Pretty much the same experience...I couldn't get one out of the package as it was stuck to the plastic. I use them for household projects now.

ILoveToQuilt 02-20-2014 04:23 AM

Never had good luck, either, with the HF blades. Mine tended to "skip" when cutting fabric and made deeper gouges in my mat than the Olfa blades do. will stay with Olfa blades purhased with JAF coupons.

Anita

brenwalt 02-20-2014 04:31 AM

I've had good luck buying my blades on ebay - they come in a quantity of 50 and I love them!! Cost was $64.50 - There are smaller quantities available but I like the 50-pack.

sept97 02-20-2014 04:39 AM

I had no luck with them either. The blade wouldn't even turn on my olfa 45mm rotary cutter

grann of 6 02-20-2014 04:42 AM

I purchased 10 packs by mail from HF and so far have had no problems with them. But I recently purchased some 60mm replacement blades for my Olfa cutter from Joanns. It was a 5-pack with 50%off. Now I know why they were on sale. I have two 60mm cutters, replaced both blades from the same pack at the same time, one cuts beautifully, and the other has skippers in it, cutting in the same place on my NEW mat. So price doesn't always guarantee a quality product when it comes to rotary blades.

Krystyna 02-20-2014 04:55 AM

Yep. They're not the best, but if you have a blade sharpener, you can redeem them and they'll work just fine.

quiltmom04 02-20-2014 05:02 AM

I have found that Harbor Freight blades are very unpredictable. Some I've had have worked fine - others work like they've already been run over pins. But remember - quilters are not their target market, so keep that in mind. HF sells supplies for construction, not fine quilting tools. And as my father always said " You get what you pay for!"

Debbie C 02-20-2014 05:33 AM

can someone post a link to the Harbor Freight cutting blades? I have been to three different stores, in three different states and no one there knows what I'm talking about!!!

SB13 02-20-2014 05:39 AM

Same here...they are not worth the money saved. Bought 10 packs as HF is not close to us. What a dissapointment. They cut, but seem to wear out faster, but the worst is what they do to your expensive cutting mats. No thanks, I will use coupon from now on and get the right ones. Lessoned learned....if it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

quilttiger 02-20-2014 05:51 AM

I've tried the HF blades, too, and they did not work for me.