Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Harbor Freight moving blankets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/harbor-freight-moving-blankets-t221738.html)

Teacup 05-20-2013 02:43 AM

I got a Harbor Freight moving blanket to use as a dog bed for a dog who shreds every pillow, but she shredded it anyway. I was hoping they might be that heavy cotton/duck type fabric, but they were lightweight poly.

twinkie 05-20-2013 03:08 AM

I think they are too heavy to use in quilting but great for moving.

mom-6 05-20-2013 03:32 AM

If these are the same ones we use for covering our product displays at shows, they are navy blue sort of mesh fabric (like a cheapie laundry bag) over heavy cotton batting, quilted in a chevron pattern about an inch or less apart. Reminds me of the old cotton mattress pads we used to have.

grandmahoney 05-20-2013 04:24 AM

I might try it on one quilt and tie it off. I don't think you could quilt it. I know my mom has one quilt she used a old blanket as a batting and she has had it for years and she tied it off but it is very heavy.

coopah 05-20-2013 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6071112)
I agree with Dunster, they're awfully heavy to use as batting. Plus, they're already quilted. However, what a great gift idea for someone who has abused quilts in the past but still thinks they deserve one! :p

Thanks for the best laugh of today! :-) Love that idea!!!!!!!!

Grace MooreLinker 05-20-2013 05:25 AM

Most moving blankets become stiff when washed, not sure I would ever use them as batting???

joyce888 05-20-2013 05:44 AM

The one I bought from them did have an odor and the color was very dark. Question, does the quilting interfere (show thru or distort) with the quilting on the quilt?

tessagin 05-20-2013 05:52 AM

They're heavier than I would want. We purchased a couple a few years ago and a real pain to wash. They are worth the purchase for moving and covering things for storage.

AZ Jane 05-20-2013 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6074760)
They're heavier than I would want. We purchased a couple a few years ago and a real pain to wash. They are worth the purchase for moving and covering things for storage.

That was my question, washing. They do say it's a poly/non-woven fabric, whatever that means. Were you going to take it apart and use what's inside or just use as is? I remember my grandmother's quilts, with 2, you couldn't even turn over, they were so heavy, many layers!! LOL!!

Quilts&Angie 05-20-2013 07:12 AM

I have been considering getting one to make a dog bed for DD boyfriend's new dog, using his no longer needed XLT egg crate mattress pad as padding. Thought it would make a cheap, comfy bed for his new baby, who is already 50+ lbs. at 6 months old. I would want to put a zipper in it so it could be washed. That'll be expensive part. Hope I don't have too much trouble finding a really long zipper. I've never looked for one before. Any suggestions?