Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight moving blankets

Harbor Freight moving blankets

Just received next weeks Harbor Freight add. Moving blankets 72 x 80" are on sale with coupon for $4.99. Has anyone seen these? If they're not treated or scented in any way, they may be an inexpensive alternative for batting as long as the color isn't too dark/bright to show through the top of your quilt.

Blog Entries
    This is from HF site.http://www.harborfreight.com/materia...-supplies.html

Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    Just received next weeks Harbor Freight add. Moving blankets 72 x 80" are on sale with coupon for $4.99. Has anyone seen these? If they're not treated or scented in any way, they may be an inexpensive alternative for batting as long as the color isn't too dark/bright to show through the top of your quilt.
    Pat

We bought a bunch of them years ago when we were moving. In my opinion, they're too heavy to use as batting. They are great for moving, though.

Blog Entries
    they are also prequilted, so those quilting 'bumps' will probably 'show' on your quilt top.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Dunster, they're awfully heavy to use as batting. Plus, they're already quilted. However, what a great gift idea for someone who has abused quilts in the past but still thinks they deserve one!

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    ... what a great gift idea for someone who has abused quilts in the past but still thinks they deserve one!
    What an absolutely perfect idea, Peggi!! Slap on a couple of appliqués and wrap it up! LOL
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    What an absolutely perfect idea, Peggi!! Slap on a couple of appliqués and wrap it up! LOL
    Wicked! (but a great idea)

What if you made a top and stitched it to the blanket for a picnic quilt. Then tied it together.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Blog Entries
    Perfect for beach/picnic blankets, I think I will put one together with the top that I pieced and just do not like.,
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    I made a tummy time quilt for my great niece I ironrd on pictures of everyone that held her. When she startes crawling she loved looking at all the pictures she would crawl to certain pictures and "talk" mostly her parents and grandparents. The quilt had many washings and held up well. I also took a moving blanket and backed it with plain cotton fabric and ironed on my mother in laws family then everyone signed it and or wrote something she had alzhiemers disease the quilt gave her lots of comfort when she died they burried the quilt with her as it was her constant companion. I forgot to mentioned I used no batting just the moving blanket and cotton fabric My mom and I then handtied the quilt

I got a Harbor Freight moving blanket to use as a dog bed for a dog who shreds every pillow, but she shredded it anyway. I was hoping they might be that heavy cotton/duck type fabric, but they were lightweight poly.

I think they are too heavy to use in quilting but great for moving.

If these are the same ones we use for covering our product displays at shows, they are navy blue sort of mesh fabric (like a cheapie laundry bag) over heavy cotton batting, quilted in a chevron pattern about an inch or less apart. Reminds me of the old cotton mattress pads we used to have.

Blog Entries
    I might try it on one quilt and tie it off. I don't think you could quilt it. I know my mom has one quilt she used a old blanket as a batting and she has had it for years and she tied it off but it is very heavy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I agree with Dunster, they're awfully heavy to use as batting. Plus, they're already quilted. However, what a great gift idea for someone who has abused quilts in the past but still thinks they deserve one!
    Thanks for the best laugh of today! :-) Love that idea!!!!!!!!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Most moving blankets become stiff when washed, not sure I would ever use them as batting???
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Blog Entries
    The one I bought from them did have an odor and the color was very dark. Question, does the quilting interfere (show thru or distort) with the quilting on the quilt?
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    They're heavier than I would want. We purchased a couple a few years ago and a real pain to wash. They are worth the purchase for moving and covering things for storage.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    They're heavier than I would want. We purchased a couple a few years ago and a real pain to wash. They are worth the purchase for moving and covering things for storage.
    That was my question, washing. They do say it's a poly/non-woven fabric, whatever that means. Were you going to take it apart and use what's inside or just use as is? I remember my grandmother's quilts, with 2, you couldn't even turn over, they were so heavy, many layers!! LOL!!

I have been considering getting one to make a dog bed for DD boyfriend's new dog, using his no longer needed XLT egg crate mattress pad as padding. Thought it would make a cheap, comfy bed for his new baby, who is already 50+ lbs. at 6 months old. I would want to put a zipper in it so it could be washed. That'll be expensive part. Hope I don't have too much trouble finding a really long zipper. I've never looked for one before. Any suggestions?

I think that was a wonderful to do for her..my husband is in the earily stage of Alzhiemers an has a hard time remembering our grandkids, so i think i will try this for him, thank you and God bless

For finding an extra long zipper I would check with an upholstery shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilts&Angie View Post
    I have been considering getting one to make a dog bed for DD boyfriend's new dog, using his no longer needed XLT egg crate mattress pad as padding. Thought it would make a cheap, comfy bed for his new baby, who is already 50+ lbs. at 6 months old. I would want to put a zipper in it so it could be washed. That'll be expensive part. Hope I don't have too much trouble finding a really long zipper. I've never looked for one before. Any suggestions?
    Make like a pillow sham..No zipper needed. If anything you might use some velcro. that is what I did.

Some of the moving quilts are made with stuff that will make you itch and break out in a rash.....have seen this.

Blog Entries
    You can buy zipper tape by the yard, it comes on large 35-yard spools. Just google "zipper by the yard".

Having said that, I think I would also rather use velcro. Seems to be easier and cheaper to purchase.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast