Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone else ever made a Safety Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-else-ever-made-safety-quilt-t163993.html)

muddlingabout 10-29-2011 07:39 AM

LOL

Nanaquilts44 10-29-2011 07:52 AM

So that's the kind of quilts I make!

booklady 10-29-2011 08:32 AM

nice idea. I have started putting all my leftover blocks in one bin. Might try to put them all together no matter what size they are in one top. That may be a disaster or a masterpiece.

A1penny 10-29-2011 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by booklady
nice idea. I have started putting all my leftover blocks in one bin. Might try to put them all together no matter what size they are in one top. That may be a disaster or a masterpiece.

Hummmm! I have had an idea for several years. I have a lot of blocks from different classes I've taken over the years + orphan blocks. My best friend took most of the classes with me. When she died, I had to clean out her studio....I now have all her class blocks and orphan blocks. I thought I'd like to put all those things in one quilt, but when I tell friends, they say it would look terrible. i think I should do it anyway.

Sunnye 10-29-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by A1penny

Originally Posted by booklady

Hummmm! I have had an idea for several years. I have a lot of blocks from different classes I've taken over the years + orphan blocks. My best friend took most of the classes with me. When she died, I had to clean out her studio....I now have all her class blocks and orphan blocks. I thought I'd like to put all those things in one quilt, but when I tell friends, they say it would look terrible. i think I should do it anyway.

Do it. It would be your memory quilt of sorts.

pastimesquiltdesign 10-29-2011 09:15 AM

Well you really piqued my interest. I had no idea what a safey quilt was. Just had to see. Thanks for the good laugh. What a sense of humor you have.

Rock Lady 10-29-2011 09:40 AM

I DO love that name you gave it. I have quilts with tht same name (plus a lot of other names, too).

grandme26 10-29-2011 10:06 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
That's pretty much what I always make. Are the points suppose to be there? :lol: :D

running1 10-29-2011 10:13 AM

hahahaha.. a safety quilt... I'm working on JUST such a quilt right now!! Our guild's BOM has been star blocks... and I ended up with a few points, but not too many... sigh... In fact, I stitched several blocks more than once, trying to be so careful... sigh...

Oh well... this is when being "global-minded" comes in very handy... I can still hear my sweet momma saying, "Oh don't worry... a man goin' by on horseback won't even notice!"

MadQuilter 10-29-2011 10:19 AM

Future reference:

You can try to "block" some blocks by spritzing them with water (or a little starch) slightly tuggin them into the correct shape and pinning them to dry. That has worked for me on some blocks.

Another method is to add sashing to all blocks and adjust the sashing so the blocks are all the same size. It looks like the BOM blocks are framed.

A third method - if the difference isn't that glaring, adjust the seam allowance when sewing the blocks together, particularly when there are points.

Lastly - and YES, I have done this: Undo the block and resew it with a scant 1/4".