Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone ever done a Quiltmaker Mystery Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-ever-done-quiltmaker-mystery-quilt-t258663.html)

michelleoc 12-24-2014 02:16 AM

Has anyone ever done a Quiltmaker Mystery Quilt?

Quiltmaker is starting a New Years Mystery Quilt and I was wondering if anyone had ever done one of theirs. The yardage numbers seemed high to me, but I've been having such fun with Bonnie Hunter's MQ, I was thinking about tackling another MQ.

ckcowl 12-24-2014 03:35 AM

The 2015 QuiltMaker mystery quilt is a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt, so, if you are enjoying a current one you will probably enjoy another

ManiacQuilter2 12-24-2014 07:38 AM

I never have done a mystery quilt because I like to oversize my blocks when possible being disable. Not sure I would be happy with the outcome. It has been enjoyable to see all the Celtic Solstice by Bonnie Hunter that board member have made from last year mystery quilt..

sewbizgirl 12-24-2014 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7019739)
The 2015 QuiltMaker mystery quilt is a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt, so, if you are enjoying a current one you will probably enjoy another

No... Bonnie Hunter did not design this one. She is a contributor to the magazine, but not involved in this mystery quilt. It was designed by a creative editor named Paula.

michelleoc 12-24-2014 10:52 AM

Thanks, everyone. I realized Bonnie didn't decide the QuiltMaker Mystery quilt. I guess the question I had was, has anyone done a Mystery quilt that WASN'T Bonnie's and what did you think of it?

SittingPretty 12-24-2014 11:48 AM

I might give it a try, but I agree that the fabric yardages seem high. I would probably just do a sample from my stash, and then decide if I like it at the end. I started Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion, but I'm just not "feeling it." I know I could have used different colors, but it's hard to know what to accent, except the yellow.

lindaschipper 12-25-2014 05:37 AM

It bothers me that Bonnie Hunter expects everyone to have all scrap fabric as she does. Some of us enjoy her patterns but want a more controlled color scheme, and therefore would have to purchase material. Why she can't give yardage amounts is beyond me.

quiltsRfun 12-25-2014 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 7020853)
It bothers me that Bonnie Hunter expects everyone to have all scrap fabric as she does. Some of us enjoy her patterns but want a more controlled color scheme, and therefore would have to purchase material. Why she can't give yardage amounts is beyond me.

She did give yardage amounts.

Green 1-1/2
Aqua 2-1/3
Pink 2
Black 2-1/4
Neutral 3

Lots of us have to purchase even if we're doing scrappy. I bought fat quarters, quarter yards and half yards plus what was in my stash to make the total amounts needed.

quiltingshorttimer 12-25-2014 12:33 PM

Since I'm still finishing (just borders!) of Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice and it has been a challenge and frankly, I've lost a lot of points! I bought the yellow and even bought black (since I did not have any to speak of in my stash)for her new mystery quilt (Grand Illusions) but I don't think I'll be doing it--I have several other projects that need to take priority and like one of you--I'm just not seeing this color combo. Have done a couple of other mystery quilts and have to say that I prefer to know going into a project what it will look like so that I may choose my own color combos. Especially if I end up having to purchase fabrics! I have a friend that says she only makes mystery quilts in Christmas colors because even if she ends up not crazy about the pattern, she knows she can gift a Christmas quilt!

M.Elizabeth 12-25-2014 02:31 PM

I have saved in a file several mystery quilts. Having had health problems for the past few years, I haven't completed any of them, but if in the future I should decide to attempt one, I have the information and steps I need.