Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Has anyone ever done a Quiltmaker Mystery Quilt?

Has anyone ever done a Quiltmaker Mystery Quilt?

Quiltmaker is starting a New Years Mystery Quilt and I was wondering if anyone had ever done one of theirs. The yardage numbers seemed high to me, but I've been having such fun with Bonnie Hunter's MQ, I was thinking about tackling another MQ.

Blog Entries
    The 2015 QuiltMaker mystery quilt is a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt, so, if you are enjoying a current one you will probably enjoy another
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I never have done a mystery quilt because I like to oversize my blocks when possible being disable. Not sure I would be happy with the outcome. It has been enjoyable to see all the Celtic Solstice by Bonnie Hunter that board member have made from last year mystery quilt..
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    The 2015 QuiltMaker mystery quilt is a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt, so, if you are enjoying a current one you will probably enjoy another
    No... Bonnie Hunter did not design this one. She is a contributor to the magazine, but not involved in this mystery quilt. It was designed by a creative editor named Paula.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks, everyone. I realized Bonnie didn't decide the QuiltMaker Mystery quilt. I guess the question I had was, has anyone done a Mystery quilt that WASN'T Bonnie's and what did you think of it?

I might give it a try, but I agree that the fabric yardages seem high. I would probably just do a sample from my stash, and then decide if I like it at the end. I started Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion, but I'm just not "feeling it." I know I could have used different colors, but it's hard to know what to accent, except the yellow.
    SittingPretty

It bothers me that Bonnie Hunter expects everyone to have all scrap fabric as she does. Some of us enjoy her patterns but want a more controlled color scheme, and therefore would have to purchase material. Why she can't give yardage amounts is beyond me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    It bothers me that Bonnie Hunter expects everyone to have all scrap fabric as she does. Some of us enjoy her patterns but want a more controlled color scheme, and therefore would have to purchase material. Why she can't give yardage amounts is beyond me.
    She did give yardage amounts.

Green 1-1/2
    Aqua 2-1/3
    Pink 2
    Black 2-1/4
    Neutral 3

Lots of us have to purchase even if we're doing scrappy. I bought fat quarters, quarter yards and half yards plus what was in my stash to make the total amounts needed.
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 12-25-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Since I'm still finishing (just borders!) of Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice and it has been a challenge and frankly, I've lost a lot of points! I bought the yellow and even bought black (since I did not have any to speak of in my stash)for her new mystery quilt (Grand Illusions) but I don't think I'll be doing it--I have several other projects that need to take priority and like one of you--I'm just not seeing this color combo. Have done a couple of other mystery quilts and have to say that I prefer to know going into a project what it will look like so that I may choose my own color combos. Especially if I end up having to purchase fabrics! I have a friend that says she only makes mystery quilts in Christmas colors because even if she ends up not crazy about the pattern, she knows she can gift a Christmas quilt!

I have saved in a file several mystery quilts. Having had health problems for the past few years, I haven't completed any of them, but if in the future I should decide to attempt one, I have the information and steps I need.

Michelleoc: Judy on this board will be starting another mystery quilt or table runner on January 10th. She has 7 of them on this board. Just look up Judy's Mystery Train ride in the search area for the previous mysteries. Lots of fun and awesome directions and pictures. This one will be scrappy.

Connie

Like quiltingshorttimer I don't like mystery quilts or anything else continued, so I just print out all Bonnie's instructions, etc and wait until it is all printed, and then decide if I want to do it or not.

I love Bonnie Hunters annual mystery. I have plenty of scraps and leftover yardage to conquer and a bed size (88 x 88" quilt will accomplish that. plus, I think Bonnies mysteries are great skill builders for me. I really haven't seen other mysteries that are designed this way. The Robert Callahan series quilts in McCalls were very interesting but not mystery. 💝. Quiltmaker would probably offer an interesting mystery.

michelleoc; Do you know if it will be in their magazine or online?

Online, MQ? No I have not made one. But my guild does a MQ every year and it as sure fun to see 20 - 30 versions of the same quilt. Love the process and .... well the mystery or it all. I do limit myself to my stash but that is my way of keeping the mystery which I may or may not "love" at an appropriate price point.

sandyl: It is online. Just go to Quiltmaker.com and you should be able to find it. I found out about it when they sent me an email. I have some fabrics that I have bought to go together and have no clue what to do with them, so I may give this one a go!

I just checked the Quilt Maker Mystery. I think the red, white, and blue colors would be a good one because if I don't like it I can donate it as a QoV. Not sure if I'll do it, but it may be fun. Of course, I need another project like a hole in my head!
    Anne P
    Kindness counts.

I think I may do this one, too. Red/Blue/White. Will do as I am doing on BHMQ...only 1/2. Then figure it out at the end for the actual size of a throw quilt. Just pulled my fabrics!

Quote Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
    Michelleoc: Judy on this board will be starting another mystery quilt or table runner on January 10th. She has 7 of them on this board. Just look up Judy's Mystery Train ride in the search area for the previous mysteries. Lots of fun and awesome directions and pictures. This one will be scrappy.

Connie
    OMG thank you. I've been searching for about an hour now LOL!!!

TheStylishHome: I'm so glad my response helped you find Judy's Mystery Trains. #8 will be my fourth one with Judy.

Connie

Quote Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
    Quiltmaker is starting a New Years Mystery Quilt and I was wondering if anyone had ever done one of theirs. The yardage numbers seemed high to me, but I've been having such fun with Bonnie Hunter's MQ, I was thinking about tackling another MQ.
    I did a large lap size quilt that required over 9 yards of background, 5 yards for color prints and 3 1/4 yards for borders. I was amazed when I saw the list but it turned out to be pretty accurate. That quilt included just shy of 10,000 pieces. Hopefully this mystery one will be a little less intense. With that amount of yardage, it will end up being a heavy quilt. Mine is very, very heavy.

Blog Entries
    I am setting BHMQ together. It is beautiful and so far there is no thought of if I had known I would have put this color there instead of here.!!!lol Will do another of hers. Am trying to find Judys #8 for now. Did the #7 really liked it.Jo
    Landscape quilts and needle turn applique favs.Antlers,Ok