Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone looked in your sewing room and gasped at the mess? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-looked-your-sewing-room-gasped-mess-t102079.html)

DirtyPaw 02-23-2011 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by helbo
My sewing room is like my church. It's very special to me and off limits to casual visitors. Mostly because I have pieces I'm working on and do NOT want any comments until I'm ready to show my work. My DH brought my SIL in to see my room, I heard her gasp, like the people do when they see hoarders. I was in the middle of a project and you really could not walk in the room. My DH was trying to show off my work so he gets a pass, but I asked him to please never show my craft room again. I was at a loss for words when I heard the gasp of horror...She does not do crafts, so no messes at her house. I do clean up and put away once I'm done with a project (okay, sometimes I do). I guess the best attitude is if momma's creating the best thing to do is duck to avoid flying fabric.

I always just tell the person they have insulted me and confront them then and there. I feel it is better just to get it resolved instead of carrying it around. Vent it like you did here.

juliea9967 02-23-2011 05:41 AM

My husband just told me that he thinks I've set a record this time. He said he thought I had a couple of times before, but he is positive I have now.
What a guy!!!!!

neeng 02-23-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by wytetygeress
I don't have a room yet, but yes i gasp when i am doing a project.Cus is a mess. I do have a very good motivation tool to keep everything nice and tidy when i am not quilting...An 18 month old whirlwind. If it is out ( i sew in my living room, and cut in my kitchen) he is going to check it out..and run off with it. I don't know how many scraps of fabric i have found in his toy box...
You SIL should have been respectful about your space. If she doesn't like how you keep your stuff, well her loss, not yours.

I have a granddaughter that loves fabric scraps too....now she knows that if it's in the blue bag, she is free to use/play with/take it....otherwise fabric is off limits or she needs to ask first. Mind you she was 3 when we started this system. 18 mos is a little tougher.

lovedquilts 02-23-2011 05:47 AM

You can't sew if you are cleaning. lol

SuzyQ 02-23-2011 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by helbo
She does not do crafts, so no messes at her house.

Boy, is she missing out, I feel sorry for her! She sounds like my MIL LOL. No one sees my mess but me and DH. My friends can already imagine it <grin>

Susan

Molly B 02-23-2011 05:54 AM

I don't care what anyone thinks of my cave. I LOVE IT! It's my Therapy Room. Cheaper than any Dr. :)

Psychomomquilter 02-23-2011 06:00 AM

Neighbor came to borrow a needle, a big eyed one, I led her into my sewing room, and I siad it was my sewing room and excuse the mess. Well she churped in, that is a good thing. shje knows I am alone. She seen some pillows I made and asked if I was selling them, she also seen some of the quilts I finished, sshe said you do good. with her not speaking much engilsh, that lifted my spirits! clutter and all!

gollytwo 02-23-2011 06:02 AM

Nope, because theirs are just as bad

Debd 02-23-2011 06:03 AM

We were sampling realtors, and a comment was made on my sewing with words involving natural disasters like"hurricane". Fortunately the realtor was a friend of the person I was frantically making ties for a retirement roast he was hosting, so he was able to excuse the mess! We did end up using the realtor, she was able to salvage her commission with great praise on the whole house after the project was finished!

El'sgrandma 02-23-2011 06:19 AM

that is why we have doors