Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has Anyone Made a Jellyroll Rug? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-made-jellyroll-rug-t297770.html)

SusieQOH 06-22-2018 04:22 AM

Has Anyone Made a Jellyroll Rug?

Hi friends,
A blog I subscribe to called Carried Away Quilting featured a darling rug made from a jelly roll and a roll of cotton batting.
I found several places that sells the batting- it's 2.5 inch strips on a roll. Wondering if anyone has made one and how hard/easy was it to make.
Thanks!
Susie

ka9sdn 06-22-2018 04:25 AM

I have not but have thought about it. Would love to hear from this great group.

Sewgood 06-22-2018 05:37 AM

I've made 4 and have taught 2 classes so far on these rugs. They are Very easy to make. The directions in the pattern are easy to follow. Just be very careful to let your machine feed the fabric through - don't push or pull and keep the area behind your machine clear so the rug can lay flat as it goes.
I cut up my scraps of batting to use in the rugs. Cut them just under 2 1/2". I had enough scraps to make all the rugs and a couple samples.
I had some really ugly jelly rolls that I bought years ago - it made a great looking rug. It's one of my favorites.
I also had a ugly panel that came with a kit I bought. I cut that up into strips. It looks really cool and is one of the favorites of the ones I take as samples to the classes.

patti p 06-22-2018 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sewgood (Post 8080261)
I've made 4 and have taught 2 classes so far on these rugs. They are Very easy to make. The directions in the pattern are easy to follow. Just be very careful to let your machine feed the fabric through - don't push or pull and keep the area behind your machine clear so the rug can lay flat as it goes.
I cut up my scraps of batting to use in the rugs. Cut them just under 2 1/2". I had enough scraps to make all the rugs and a couple samples.
I had some really ugly jelly rolls that I bought years ago - it made a great looking rug. It's one of my favorites.
I also had a ugly panel that came with a kit I bought. I cut that up into strips. It looks really cool and is one of the favorites of the ones I take as samples to the classes.

do you have pictures?

Onebyone 06-22-2018 06:12 AM

I'm waiting for a class on it. I do better in a class setting learning a new project. The shop here gives free classes for this type of project if you buy the pattern and supplies from the shop. Worth it to me. After that I can make more if I want on my own.

ckcowl 06-22-2018 11:29 AM

I tried- it turned into another basket- I can not figure out how to keep the ends from folding up. i was so frustrated with it- I will stick with other rag quilts- that one just doesn’t work out for me. I’ve seen pictures of some that are great, I just cannot figure out the trick to going around the corners

MadQuilter 06-22-2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 8080421)
I tried- it turned into another basket-

That sounds like a real trip-hazard. lol (I can relate because I have tried crochet patterns that were supposed to be flat and turned into some interesting shapes.)

Sewgood 06-22-2018 07:17 PM

jelly roll rug pictures

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of a couple of the jelly roll rugs I made.
The white one was made with a panel I cut into strips and the other was made with a jelly roll.

Tiggersmom 06-22-2018 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8080225)
Hi friends,
A blog I subscribe to called Carried Away Quilting featured a darling rug made from a jelly roll and a roll of cotton batting.
I found several places that sells the batting- it's 2.5 inch strips on a roll. Wondering if anyone has made one and how hard/easy was it to make.
Thanks!
Susie

I think another thread not long ago was on here. Somebody posted a link on YouTube that showed how it's done.

jmoore 06-23-2018 02:53 AM

Sewgood...your rugs look awesome. This is on my list of things to try too. There is a gal in our sewing group who is going to give us a tutorial sometime soon.