Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone made a quilt of just ten inch square pieces? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-made-quilt-just-ten-inch-square-pieces-t294924.html)

youngduncan 02-20-2018 04:15 AM

I have done quilts using 10" squares of denim and corduroy, alternating them row by row. The quilts were definitely utility quilts, and they were on the heavy side when they were finished. That was okay. Before my father-in-law passed away, he was confined to a hospital bed. He liked the weight of the quilts. They didn't seem to slide off. I tied them at each intersection with twelve strands of embroidery floss and used very thick batting. I remember using a bed sheet as backing.

I wonder what happened to them? I know they never seemed to wear out, even with washing in a regular machine and going through the dryer. I'm sure each of the quilts got washed and dried at least once a week.

Dina 02-20-2018 05:52 AM

Thanks everyone. I am going to cut out squares today and play. I think I need 35 squares, plus a border. I have been itching to start cutting already, but, unfortunately, I am one of those "one quilt at a time" people, and my personal rules won't let me start one quilt until I finish another.

I am just about finished with the quilt I am on....will be squaring it and attaching binding today. (It is also a quilt for the Boys' Ranch.)

I really appreciate all of the encouragement. :) In my mind's eye, it looks good,

Dina

mengler 02-20-2018 06:16 AM

Not 10” but my t shirt quilt was 15”. I suspect most T-shirt quilts are at least 10” blocks. Sounds very nice with an I spy sort of theme which yours sounds like. I did sash and border which really made it complete. Go for it.

Nesie 02-20-2018 07:36 AM

I made a baby quilt using assorted 10 in. precut flannel squares. Some solids, stripes, dots, etc. I was very happy with the look.

Rose_P 02-20-2018 08:07 AM

Am I right in understanding you mean just sewing the squares together without any further cutting or piecing? It wouldn't appeal to me as a project to do or a finished quilt, but I quilted a vintage top that was made of just random squares of fabric. They had been set on point with a medium green as the setting triangles and border, and I thought the look was better than I expected it to be. The green seemed to bring it all together.

klswift 02-20-2018 09:44 AM

Absolutely no reason why you can't do this. And, it would be a great opportunity to do some different quilting in each block.

JanieH 02-20-2018 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by pewa88 (Post 8007251)
I saw this video on You Tube several weeks ago. This looks like a great pattern for 10 inch squares. I have not made it but it is on my to-do list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh1zte0Vhmo

That is really interesting. Thanks for posting the link.

eimay 02-20-2018 10:39 AM

I volunteer at a friend's quilt shop once a week. (Used to work there, now volunteer). When a customer asks me such a question, I usually answer "It's your quilt." (emphasis on your). If you like it, it's fine. My daughter asked for one such quilt with football teams logos.

Dina 02-20-2018 12:40 PM

Ha! It turns out I can't us 12 inch squares anyway. I am making this from scraps of another quilt I made for the Boys' Ranch, and it turns out that the biggest scraps I have will make 9 inch squares. So I am now playing with a smaller square, which I am pretty sure will look good anyway, just not the mental image I had. Often my mental image doesn't end up working out.... :)

So I am now playing with 9 inch squares...48 instead of 35. I was going to try to get a pattern going, but it may be completely random now. I have 4 sports fabrics and 5 solid or blender fabrics.

Still, should be fun to play with.

Dina

Sleepy Hollow 02-20-2018 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this as a donation quilt, using 10" squares. I don't have a photo of it after quilting, but this is the top all pieced.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589481[/ATTACH]