Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone turned kitchen table into cutting room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-turned-kitchen-table-into-cutting-room-t237139.html)

GammaLou 12-23-2013 05:29 AM

Use the kitchen table! You will love the size to cut on. I have an antique table with leaves that slide underneath and my husband put it on bed risers for me. It is great!!

scrapinmema 12-23-2013 08:03 AM

I use an antique dinning room table that is a fold down instead of leaf and put bed risers under the legs and it is the perfect height. My cutting mat is about six inches short but that is okay with me. When I need more space for laying out fabric just pull it out from the wall and pull up the ends and its perfect.

lots2do 12-23-2013 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by GypsyRse1 (Post 6469113)
Something that I have found indispensible for quilting is *Handi-tak *poster tak.. there are several mfg. It's a putty-like substance that doesn't stain, not permanent, easy to use and reuseable...I put a small dot under the corner of my cutting mats to keep them from slipping. I even keep a small piece of it in a little plastic case in my travel sewing box in case I need to secure my sewing machine or cutting mat to the table at classes, etc.

Great tip, thanks!

marcycn 12-23-2013 10:30 AM

If you have a table with four legs you can get the risers sold at Walmart and put under each leg. Worked great for me on a white 6' folding table I was using. Brought it up just enough so my back wasn't hurting as much. :-)

I also use my dining room table to cut material. Hassle when it's time to eat, but I don't have the room anymore for a separate table. Anyway, I cover the table with one of the sewing mats that fold out. It gives me just enough extra room in length and width I need and protects the table. I have to prop the ends up with chair backs since the table is shorter than the mat. :-)

Quilterfay 12-23-2013 11:14 AM

I sew on my mother inlaw's dining room table. It is one of those tables that fold all up. It works great. My husband wanted to make a hole for my sewing machine. But I couldn't let him deface the table. His mother would kill him if she was alive and he cut up the table.

MacThayer 12-23-2013 12:38 PM

My table would be great to use, because it's large and smooth, because my husband beat me to it with all his scattered paperwork. Sigh!

charlottemarie 12-23-2013 04:51 PM

I have three of the 9 cube storage shelves you can buy at Target on sale several times a year. It holds the fabric cubes and is white. On top of these I have a 6'x3' board that I bought at Lowe's. I have the three book cubes holding this board which I covered with fabric. I use it as a cutting table, a sewing table, or both whatever I need at the time. I have one of the dining room tables that has 8 chairs and they are tall chairs. I borrowed one of the chairs and I use it as my sewing room chair to use working at my improvised table. It all works great and since I already had the shelf cubes it was relatively cheap.

mjhaess 12-23-2013 06:45 PM

Would love one but afraid to try to cut it...

teric 12-23-2013 07:02 PM

Mine is 7 foot long and 40 wide....use a Horn cutting mat. 36 x 68 with 2 " all around... so 40 x 72 ... works well.. I keep a 23 x 35 self healing cutting mat under it for heavier cutting..