Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone turned kitchen table into cutting room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-turned-kitchen-table-into-cutting-room-t237139.html)

LITTLEOLDME 12-22-2013 08:22 AM

The kitchen table used to be my sewing table, hated it due to having to move things at meal time. we never ate anywhere but the table, meal time was a required sit down family time. With 6 plus kids you have to have meals controlled or they are eating all the time everywhere. now I have the corner of a room sett up , my cutting table is a 10 ft. work shop bench that I have on wheels to allow me to work around it. under it the shelf is great for storage.

MargeD 12-22-2013 08:37 AM

Although I had to give it up when we downsized, I used our old kitchen table as my sewing table and since it was very large with the two leaves in it and over 3 feet wide, it was fabulous for cutting, sewing, sandwiching quilts, whatever. I don't stand to cut, sew or sandwich quilts, so it was perfect, especially when I was quilting a king size quilt - it supported the quilt beautifully. I still miss that table, but sometimes you have to let go.

BellaBoo 12-22-2013 08:43 AM

I'm 5'2" and counter height is perfect cutting height for me. My dinning room table is counter height with tall chairs. I bought the new dining room set with the thought of the table could be used for cutting. LOL

fangman 12-22-2013 08:56 AM

Good idea.

PumpkinSundae 12-22-2013 10:36 AM

Actually worse. I use the dining room table...yikes!

quiltmom04 12-22-2013 11:02 AM

I have an old wooden conference table my brother used at the bank he worked at. It does take up most of the one wall, but I can put my machine and a 36" square cutting board, or two machines side by side and have a friend over to sew. It gets REALLY messy this time of year, as I finish a project and just push the remains aside and work on another one, but I'd say, if you can fit a larger table in, get it!

GypsyRse1 12-22-2013 11:04 AM

Something that I have found indispensible for quilting is *Handi-tak *poster tak.. there are several mfg. It's a putty-like substance that doesn't stain, not permanent, easy to use and reuseable...I put a small dot under the corner of my cutting mats to keep them from slipping. I even keep a small piece of it in a little plastic case in my travel sewing box in case I need to secure my sewing machine or cutting mat to the table at classes, etc.

1screech 12-22-2013 04:04 PM

Add lifters to the table and use the extra space to set up a pressing board.

nanacarolyn 12-23-2013 05:03 AM

get some water pipe and have them cut them at Homedepot to the height you need .stick them on the legs wala....... works great

Shorebird 12-23-2013 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by karensue (Post 6467082)
I gave a chance to move kitchen table into a room for me to use for sewing - embroidery - quilting

it is about 42 inches wide and 5 feet long

first of all do you think I can get a cutting mat larger than my normal size one
I've seen photos of some that come as a roll but would they really lay flat

or would I be better in just getting a smaller table. I like the size of this and it would fit into room but am wondering if I am over doing it

thanks fir any and all opinions and maybe photos of what others have done

karensue

Before I got my cutting table……I used my kitchen island………I bought a large mat from Martelli - and it worked PERFECTLY!! You might want to check them out for their 50% off sales…..(one per month via their Redline Direct web sale)…….I have used the (roll up) mat but find that it dulled my blades and wore out pretty quickly……...