Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone turned kitchen table into cutting room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-turned-kitchen-table-into-cutting-room-t237139.html)

#1piecemaker 12-21-2013 08:04 AM

I use my dining room table for all of my cutting. My DH uses our kitchen table for his cutting. I just use my regular size cutting mat on one end of the table. That way the fabric hangs off both sides and I can get it straight. The rest of the table collects small pieces of fabrics that I pass on to my DH and various other sewing items. You could set up your machine there if you wanted to. Works great for me!!

moonwork42029 12-21-2013 08:24 AM

I thought that's what a dining room table was for?

WHAT???? some people actually eat on them???? How awful!

Quilter 53 12-21-2013 08:39 AM

Definitely raise the height of the cutting table. Mine is formerly my kitchen counter/breakfast bar about 40"x80". Also DH used some old 4x6's to raise my ironing board. Used a door knob cutter to put in recessed holes for the boards legs to sit in so they don't slide off. Ironing is a big chore, but this makes it easier!

QuiltnNan 12-21-2013 08:44 AM

i have a custom kitchen counter covering two dressers back to back. they are on casters. the cutting top is 42x48 and is taller than the table but a little lower than the kitchen counter. i keep one of those small, folding ironing boards on one side of it so i can press as i trim.

kamaiarigby 12-21-2013 10:49 AM

My cutting table is a beautiful oak table my grandparents bought out from England in 1914, I am baby sitting this extension table for my daughter, I have the top well covered. You can not buy bed risers in this country, so ha a friend make some out of wood,that the turned legs of the table slip into. What a difference to have the table higher, now I just have to educate my self to being more methodical and put things away when I am finished with them. vbg

charsuewilson 12-21-2013 10:52 AM

I use my dining room table. But I sit to cut. It would probably hurt my back if I tried to stand (too low a surface to work on).

SharonTheriault 12-21-2013 11:47 AM

Like charsuewilson, I too sit to cut. Even when the table is cutting height, it hurts my back to stand and cut. I use a banquet table. About 30 x 60. I have my 24 x 36 cutting mat towards one end and my table top ironing board towards the other end. And, my chair is on rollers, so it is easy to go between the machine, cutting mat, and ironing board. I don't think I will ever stand to cut or iron again.

jcrow 12-21-2013 12:12 PM

I use two long tables put together and my cutting board is 23" x 70". My friend who use to own her quilting store had that size cutting board and I just happened to be in there the day she was ordering a new cutting board. I asked her if she would order one for me and she said "Why sure", so now I have the super long cutting board. I love it. I have had it about 5 years and move my cutting all over the board so there is no deep grooves anywhere. I think it will last me a long time. It was less than $100. You should check with you LQS and ask them about ordering you a long cutting board.

fayzer 12-21-2013 03:33 PM

I have just moved my stainless steel topped kitchen table into my sewing room. I have my cutting mat on one end and my ironing board (DIY) and iron on the other end. My chair is between my sewing table and the kitchen table. I just swivel around to press my seams/blocks or trim blocks. Awesome! I'm loving it in my sewing room!!

karensue 12-21-2013 03:34 PM

Okay thanks for all the replies
looks like hubby just had a different idea for me he doesn't like the idea now of me during the table thinks ill just kinda " junk it up" either stuff underneath so he has come up with new idea
I can give the local kitchen design place make me one. He is thinking 2 cabinets side by died on each side so I will then have 4cabinets with doors to hide my stuff
he was thinking 36 wide by 48 long and I am clueless to correct height. (I am 5'w2")?.??
any more suggestions as to going this route. He said I can also have wheels on bottom in case I want to move it
karensue

=karensue;6467082]I gave a chance to move kitchen table into a room for me to use for sewing - embroidery - quilting

it is about 42 inches wide and 5 feet long

first of all do you think I can get a cutting mat larger than my normal size one
I've seen photos of some that come as a roll but would they really lay flat

or would I be better in just getting a smaller table. I like the size of this and it would fit into room but am wondering if I am over doing it

thanks fir any and all opinions and maybe photos of what others have done

karensue[/QUOTE]