Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has quilting made you more or less of a loner? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-quilting-made-you-more-less-loner-t103795.html)

Daisygirl 02-28-2011 05:28 PM

Sorry for your loss. Quilting has pretty much made me more of a loner. There are not a lot of people who quilt in my area so besides for a few classes every now and then, this board is my Only interaction with other quilters. I also find I would rather be home quilting than doing other things

redvette54 02-28-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
Well, after a friend of 17 years just stop having anything to do with me, I refused to be hurt like that ever again, so now I keep my distance. I won't let people get close to me. So all I have now is my computer, quilting, and other crafts. My sons hardly ever call me or visit. So I guess Internet friends is all I have in my life at this time.

To this day, I have no ideal why my friend stop having anything to do with me, I ask her if I had offended her and she said no, that I had done nothing, but I must of did something to hurt her and she never gave me a chance to say I'm sorry. After 3 years trying and crying to find out what I did, I just gave up.

At that time I had loss a lot of weight and became much smaller than her, but if she could only see me now, I've just about put it all back on from depression.

I've told people about this and they seem to think the weight loss might be the reason she quit having anything to do with me, I just don't know...

But to this day my heart aches, no more close friends for me thank you!

So with that said, I guess I am a loner and just trying to find something to do to fill the void... :-(

So Sorry for your loss, I know what it's like to loose a sister, I lost my sister to drowning in 2009 she was my only sibling...

I can so relate to your story, I know what happened, but because we work at the same place, I was put though h*ll for 2 years. I would have left, but at the time, I was single and needed that job. I'm still very bitter and built a nice wall. So all I have are my internet friends.

Rumbols 02-28-2011 06:44 PM

So sorry for your loss. I've always been a loner. Quilting just gives me more interesting things to do. My hubby and I have lost both our parents; brothers and sisters scattered to the four winds so to speak; and our DD married to military and taking the grand kids all over the USA. We talk and email but very seldom see each other. I was so lucky to find this board and all of you who quilt, make me laugh, cry, and challenge me everyday with new ideas. Thanks

Lv2sew2011 02-28-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by redvette54

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
Well, after a friend of 17 years just stop having anything to do with me, I refused to be hurt like that ever again, so now I keep my distance. I won't let people get close to me. So all I have now is my computer, quilting, and other crafts. My sons hardly ever call me or visit. So I guess Internet friends is all I have in my life at this time.

To this day, I have no ideal why my friend stop having anything to do with me, I ask her if I had offended her and she said no, that I had done nothing, but I must of did something to hurt her and she never gave me a chance to say I'm sorry. After 3 years trying and crying to find out what I did, I just gave up.

At that time I had loss a lot of weight and became much smaller than her, but if she could only see me now, I've just about put it all back on from depression.

I've told people about this and they seem to think the weight loss might be the reason she quit having anything to do with me, I just don't know...

But to this day my heart aches, no more close friends for me thank you!

So with that said, I guess I am a loner and just trying to find something to do to fill the void... :-(

So Sorry for your loss, I know what it's like to loose a sister, I lost my sister to drowning in 2009 she was my only sibling...

I can so relate to your story, I know what happened, but because we work at the same place, I was put though h*ll for 2 years. I would have left, but at the time, I was single and needed that job. I'm still very bitter and built a nice wall. So all I have are my internet friends.

Sorry you had to go through h*ll 2 years, I hope some day things can change for you guys if thats what you want.

Dandish 02-28-2011 07:58 PM

Probably less of a loner, at least now. For quite a while I was the only one I knew who liked quilting/sewing, but now a couple of friends I've known for years are into it and we have fun every few weeks.

I'm sorry for those of you who have had friends hurt you -

snicker dee 02-28-2011 08:16 PM

Over a year ago I was very withdrawn ... just work and come home and collaspe. I realized that I missed the creative side of my life. I was an avid quilter for 30 yrs and had stopped several years before. So with the help of a cousin/friend in another state I started quilting again, started a blog and found the QB. These things has opened my life and relationships in so many ways. It is amazing how you know when you really connect with someone (even over the internet) and develop a friendship.

lclang 02-28-2011 08:36 PM

I worked all the time and raised five kids and seemed to be on the road all the time or at work. Now they are all grown and I have had some serious health issues and I can stay home if I want. I enjoy my sewing time and being alone is not a problem. The people I associated with during my working years do not quilt or sew. I do belong to a quilt guild and enjoy it tremendously and I really enjoy the company of this quilting board as well as one of my daughters who has become quite an accomplished quilter. Wish she lived closer. We do communicate by phone and e-mail though so keep up with what each of us is doing.

hevemi 02-28-2011 11:39 PM

Sorry to hear about your sister. I am a loner by nature, don't go out much. After my husband passed away nearly 10 yrs ago I took up quilting, I've always been a knitter. Now my friends, the few who are still around, pop in to bring me all their old sheets and clothes to see if I have any use for those and to see what goodies I've created out of them and often buy them back! This is their way to help me(I think) as I have a very meagre pension to live on.
This board is my morning coffee friend to start the day with my new friends here and keeps me from feeling such a useless hermit. Thank you for your company, ladies.

Connie in CO 03-01-2011 01:35 AM

You know,this is my first quilt in years.I have to make myself fine something to do.So many people have their little groups,then there's me on the outside looking in.When i moved up here,but it's the same here.

leamelon 03-01-2011 02:30 AM

I was already a loner and a crafter and I'd rater quilt than be around my negative neighbors