Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has your stash grown? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-your-stash-grown-t275969.html)

Quilty-Louise 02-21-2016 11:44 AM

Has your stash grown?

WOW looking back at my OLD posts and came across this thread
that I started back in 2011.

Fabric Stash

Now my question in 2016 is has your stash grown, reduced, or
stayed the same?

Is it more organized than it was back than? or a bigger mess?
How many quilts have you made with what is in your stash?

To answer my own questions:
My stash has grown out of control in the last 5 years. To the
point that I am trying to downsize the amount I have. My bin
count is at about 55-65 bins that are 58qt size, not counting
all the other misc. sizes. Oh and than there is all the fabric I
have folded onto bolts.

The ONLY fabric I do not plan to downsize the amounts of are
my white tone on tone, and a few others that I have selected
for special projects.

It is LESS organized right now, but I AM in the process of trying
to fix that problem with the aid of my new shelves, and comic
boards.

Tartan 02-21-2016 12:07 PM

I did not BUY any quilt fabric in 2015. I am working on a scrap quilt right now and trying to reduce my scrap bin. My fabric cupboard is holding steady right now.

crafty pat 02-21-2016 12:55 PM

Mine has grown quite a bit from 2011 until now. I really need to stop buying and start using mine to get it down as it is getting out of hand.

gramajo 02-21-2016 01:07 PM

Mine has grown a lot, although much I have are leftover pieces from quilts I've made. Not much is any amount of yardage. I have only bought what's been needed to finish a quilt, ie. borders, backing and sashing. I am making more scrappy quilts. I haven't been sewing near as much as I was a year ago. My eyesight and agility of my hands has decreased. I will be having cataract surgery later this spring.

marge954 02-21-2016 01:26 PM

Wow! That photo of your stash is astounding. I lost my job last year so I haven't been able to purchase anything quilt related. I don't have a huge stash or even a big stash. Sometimes I feel sad that I may not have enough fabric to make the quilts I would like to make.

QuiltnLady1 02-21-2016 01:37 PM

I have bought very little fabric the last 2 years, but I have been going through the fabric I have and giving away what I do not like to the church for charity quilts -- my stash is still way too big for the space I have now but I still love a lot of it so need to get started making quilts.

quiltingcandy 02-21-2016 01:41 PM

Mine seems to have grown too. But I have sent away a lot of my scraps when they get out of control.

Monale 02-21-2016 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise (Post 7472430)
Now my question in 2016 is has your stash grown, reduced, or
stayed the same?

Your question made me chuckle... I haven't heard yet of a quilter's stash really getting smaller! :o To answer the question about mine: It did grow quite a bit last year although it's still "small" in comparison with some other's. It fits on two shelves in a cupboard. But about a year ago, I barely had any stash, so it has probably grown by about 200%!

EasyPeezy 02-21-2016 02:21 PM

Mine is about the same since the Canadian Dollar is way down. I buy only
what I need to complete a project and not much more. A good reason to
use up the old stash (small). :):thumbup:

GEMRM 02-21-2016 02:25 PM

Mine has grown slightly in the past few years, mostly due to leftovers from projects and when I buy, it's usually for the finishers - sashing, backing or borders etc.
Having said that, I have taken on some new projects that I had nothing suitable in my stash for, so off to the fabric store.
Like EasyPeasy, I have limited my US$ purchases significantly in the past year.