Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have been stuck, unable to start a project? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-been-stuck-unable-start-project-t188448.html)

chairjogger 05-08-2012 08:57 PM

Have been stuck, unable to start a project?

I have planned, investigated, replanned a project..The plan is not working! My sewing machine is not humming any more. I feel like the commercial "Help, I've fallen and can't get up!" Too big of an Idea to start. Sort of a "quilters block" of a differant sort!

burchquilts 05-08-2012 10:18 PM

I'm with you. What is that saying? The spirit is willing but the body isn't... or something like that? I have a gazillion of things I want to do but just can't seem to get the show on the road. Argh! I think part of my *problem* is that my sewing room has kind turned into a junk room & the prospect of cleaning it is so daunting. But I really do want to sew. Maybe we should start a support group of sorts... an encouragement group.

<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_f1b88799-af37-4835-926d-da3c86cca6dd -->

CoventryUK 05-09-2012 12:17 AM

Sane here!!!! I haven't been able to get my act together since Izy organized my fabrics and I revamped my sewing room!!!! I think perhaps it is too organized and I don't want to mess it up!!!!:confused: [h=1]Hope you're impressed izy!! Sewing room sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/h]

Annaquilts 05-09-2012 02:16 AM

I am in the middle of quilting a Cal King size quilt, 10 feet x 10 feet on my sewing machine. Some days I just stare at it as it sits stuck under my sewing machine needle. I decided to work on it a little everyday. I call it my penance. It is coming. Just very slow.

AshleyR 05-09-2012 02:24 AM

I have a quilt I'm making for someone who is graduating in 2 weeks. I've been so close to finishing for months, but just can't get motivated to finish it. I don't know what is wrong with me. At least I know I'm not alone.

Holice 05-09-2012 03:17 AM

When I get stuck I cut squares and make a crib quilt. Easy, mindless and gets me sewing and can give it away.
Do something easy and quick.

redmadder 05-09-2012 03:22 AM

We've all been there. Commit to twenty minutes every day. Make something easy.If it is something that has to be done, think of the twenty minutes as a sentence imposed by a judge. Must do it. When you finish your twenty minutes, you get out of jail. Or you may find you like it there. Big grin.

lvaughan 05-09-2012 03:29 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about. I jumped off on a project that is too big for me and got overwhelmed. I am just now getting back to wanting to do a project and excited about it. I decided to leave the other project until later. What seemed to help me get over the hump is to do a few small projects. They turned out well so off I go again. I get discouraged easily at times thinking I can't do this quilting thing and then sit down and do something small and easy and admire it and think how pretty. I just love quilts or I would have given up a long time ago.

Originally Posted by chairjogger (Post 5203744)
I have planned, investigated, replanned a project..The plan is not working! My sewing machine is not humming any more. I feel like the commercial "Help, I've fallen and can't get up!" Too big of an Idea to start. Sort of a "quilters block" of a differant sort!

Annaquilts 05-09-2012 07:17 AM

Hehehehe I have never in my life joined so many swaps but now it is really time to quilt some of those quilts. Still staring at my calking stuck under the sewing machine needle. everyday a little bit.

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5203947)
When I get stuck I cut squares and make a crib quilt. Easy, mindless and gets me sewing and can give it away.
Do something easy and quick.

Annaquilts 05-09-2012 07:18 AM

This can work! I am doing it right now.

Originally Posted by redmadder (Post 5203956)
We've all been there. Commit to twenty minutes every day. Make something easy.If it is something that has to be done, think of the twenty minutes as a sentence imposed by a judge. Must do it. When you finish your twenty minutes, you get out of jail. Or you may find you like it there. Big grin.