Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you checked out JoAnn's lately? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-checked-out-joanns-lately-t174991.html)

Becka 01-09-2012 12:31 PM

Our JoAnn's has done the opposite and expanded their selection. Where we once had two little stores, we now have one big store and they've given quilters equal space. It's been nice to have. They're finally giving Hancock's a run. Between the two I can usually find what I need and when I can't, I go online.

beckalou 01-09-2012 12:54 PM

Darlin, I'm really sorry to hear this! I live over in Loxley, so I do go to the Mobile store occasionally. With the closest quilt shop being at least 30 miles away, I mostly rely on Hobby Lobby, Hancock's, Fabric by the Pound (they carry mostly upholstery fabric) & Joanns for all of my quilting needs. Now I guess I will cross Joanns off my list.......are there any LQS in Mobile that I can add to my list? I don't like to buy fabric on line, I like to feel it first.

lheizen 01-09-2012 12:58 PM

I haven't been for awhile Hubby put me on a fabric diet LOL, now I have an excuse to go in

Sunnye 01-09-2012 01:28 PM

I went to JoAnn's in Louisville, KY and all was there as far as I saw. But yes, I think some prices are pretty rediculous!

runninL8 01-10-2012 07:07 AM

We have two Joann stores in Topeka. Yesterday my sister called and said the largest one is closing. What a surprise - shopped there before Christmas and things all looked status quo. She said they implied this store wasn't doing well. I'm sorry to see this as it was the largest fabric store in Topeka.

QuiltforPD 01-10-2012 08:25 AM

I noticed when I was in the JoAnn's by me that they have really cut back on the quilting accessories. They are not all in one place in the store either. I don't enjoy shopping there as it seems very disorganized. Thread is in one place, batting in one place, books in one place and magizines in one place and they are not close together at all. Drives me nuts. Also have noticed that the selection is pretty slim for quilting.

pls1946 01-10-2012 08:47 AM

My closest Jo-Ann's is about 2 hours away....so I shop mostly at Hanncocks, only 30 minutes away.

mom-6 01-10-2012 08:55 AM

Where I live it is 30-45 min to JoAnn's and about an hour to Hancock's. Walmart is the only relatively close fabric. Still trying to locate a good LQS although I've heard about a few, haven't gotten a chance to check them out yet.

pasolovers 01-11-2012 03:44 AM

The Joann's in our area still carries all the quilting supplies...but the quality and selection of fabric leaves much to be desired..I see some of the same fabric at wally world for 1/2 the price

stitchengramie 01-11-2012 03:53 AM

My local JoAnn's still carries quilting notions and so forth. I just applied there for a part-time job there. I'm hoping that I will be able to get the position.