Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-cut-yourself-rotary-cutter-t144895.html)

MarySews 08-14-2011 09:45 AM

A word to the wise: Never use a rotary cutter with bare feet -- when it slips and falls, it seems even sharper.

Kayaker26 08-14-2011 10:19 AM

Reading comments...too many times to count. Hubs bought me a new rotary cutter that only cuts with pressure.

milikaa1 08-14-2011 10:34 AM

Yes, the last thing my neighbor said to me while using the cutter was "be careful" and then I proceeded to slice my finger wide open, did not need stitches and was a new blade so oddly enough it did not hurt....I learned a lesson and that is to never do it again.

FroggyinTexas 08-14-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Montana Quilter
Oh boy -I got off lucky-I was zipping along cutting strips and the rotary cutter slipped over the ruler and knicked the knuckle on my left thumb! Scared the beegeesus out of me! Thank God (and I did!) it was just a knick, I was almost afraid to look. The best part?? Don't need stitches AND did not bleed on the fabric, YAY! I've heard horror stories about quilters loosing tips of fingers, slicing off edges of fingers, dropping cutter on bare feet. Has this happened to anyone out there :!:

Yes, three times in the same week just after wondering how anyone could be stupid enough to get cut with a rotary cutter. Now I know.

TammyB 08-14-2011 10:39 AM

Yes, I now use the Klutz glove that they sell on the Fons and Porter Website.

BarbaraSue 08-14-2011 11:00 AM

Yes, I cut a slit into the top of my left ring finger trying to cut fabric with my right hand behind my left, my left holding the ruler. Stupid move. Too lazy to turn the fabric around. Didn't need stitches, but I wore a bandage for about a week. Should learn from it!

CarolinePaj 08-14-2011 11:04 AM

Oh yeah!

I dropped a blade as I was changing it and automatically caught it! Near on chopped a chunk of thumb off..... DH went green then very pale. Hurt like mad and bleed somewhat, but then I was told that I was a real quilter now - LOL LOL LOL!

Hugs

CarolinePaj 08-14-2011 11:05 AM

Oh yeah!

I dropped a blade as I was changing it and automatically caught it! Near on chopped a chunk of thumb off..... DH went green then very pale. Hurt like mad and bleed somewhat, but then I was told that I was a real quilter now - LOL LOL LOL!

Hugs

jane65us 08-14-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Montana Quilter
Oh boy -I got off lucky-I was zipping along cutting strips and the rotary cutter slipped over the ruler and knicked the knuckle on my left thumb! Scared the beegeesus out of me! Thank God (and I did!) it was just a knick, I was almost afraid to look. The best part?? Don't need stitches AND did not bleed on the fabric, YAY! I've heard horror stories about quilters loosing tips of fingers, slicing off edges of fingers, dropping cutter on bare feet. Has this happened to anyone out there :!:

yes I did cut my self and it was just a nick like you, but I did bleed on the fabric. but I just fixed it right away with peroxide.. it came right out.. great stuff...

gypsylady5 08-14-2011 12:39 PM

Yes, I have and I learned not to be in a hurry using the cutter. It is really sharp!