Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have You Ever Heard Of This? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-heard-t53902.html)

b.zang 07-11-2010 04:05 PM

I cut a little chunk out of all my fabrics one year as I was going away for the summer. I thought I would organize them all while I was away (with nothing else to do :roll: ) but didn't touch them. Those little bits were eventually all thrown away and now I am annoyed by fabric with corners missing!

Dee 07-11-2010 04:53 PM

I thought of doing this, but I'd need to haul around a trailer behing our van.

HeatherQuilts 07-12-2010 05:01 AM

I do something similar to this. I bought baseball (or football/basketball whatever) card holders that go in a 3 ring binder. I cut cardstock down to the size that would fit in each space. I then cut out a small swatch of fabric and glued it on to the card. I then write on the card where and when I got that fabric, and how much I have of it. I haven't done my whole stash yet, but I'm working on it. This way, when I find a pattern I like, if I need to "fill in" by buying new fabric, I can take the cards out of the holders and take them with me. (The cards would even fit in a wallet/billfold) This way I can see the true colors of my fabric to find something that goes with it.

~Heather

CarrieAnne 07-12-2010 05:06 AM

Sounds like a great idea!

pollyjvan9 07-12-2010 05:07 AM

I'm just now organized enough to do something like that. I like to think of myself as a quilter not a scrapbooker. I do keep a quilt diary with name, date, recipient, why I made that particular quilt, etc.

QuiltingGrannie 07-12-2010 05:07 AM

I started to do that, then decided it was too much work and I may NEED that piece I had cut. I then cut smaller pieces to catalog. Now though I have a photo 'catalog' of my fabric. Since my printer is wonderful at correct color it works pretty well. If I am trying to match fabric for a project though, I take a small piece(s) along.

If I only had time to keep up with all the ways to stay organized! AND had time to quilt AND time for everything else. OH, wait I do ---- as long as I don't sleep at all. :thumbup: :thumbdown:

bstanbro 07-12-2010 08:11 AM

I'm always trying things like this. They seem like a good idea at the time, but keeping them up-to-date is a challenge. I like the idea of BEING organized more than I like organizing.

OmaForFour 07-12-2010 08:49 AM

I love this idea ans will start doing it. I will cut 1 1/2" squares, save the selvedge name, and glue to a piece of heavy paper with an acid free glue stick. Then I will put it in a plastic sleeve with a 3 hole edge and into a binder.

I think I will do this by color (red, blue etc) rather than mfgr. name for when I take it with me. That way I will have a few colors in mind for my project and not have to carry the whole thing with me.

Sewze 07-12-2010 10:59 AM

Geeze.....I've just spent the last couple of months organizing my stash of over 200 fabrics (and still have more to do) and wish I had known about this then. I could have cut fabric swatches as I wrapped boards and had a bit more organization.

enerod 07-12-2010 12:21 PM

I have gotten into the habit of when I bring fabric home, I usually buy all fabric for a quilt at a time even if I don't know what quilt it might be, to cut a small piece off and add it to a receipe card then I staple the receipt to the back. This way I know where I bought it and if I need to find more I have the manufacturers number on the receipt to get more.