Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever kept a quilt instead of giving/donating? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-kept-quilt-instead-giving-donating-t192304.html)

Woman 06-21-2012 07:48 AM

A few years back I made a quilt for my boss, my husband loved that quilt, said it was the pretties quilt I had every made,every so offen he would make comment about that quilt, now I am make him a quilt just like my bosses, using the same colors and the same pattern.

lalaland 06-21-2012 07:52 PM

The only quilt I have kept is the first quilt I ever made. All the rest have either been given to friends and family, to charity, or sold. I work for the school district, they buy a lot of my stuff and occasionally I'll take orders. I enjoy other peoples work. I've bought several finished projects from board members.

sewbizgirl 06-21-2012 08:29 PM

Why don't you keep it a while? You can always give it away later, if you want to. (Or keep it forever if you get attached!)

jitkaau 06-22-2012 03:25 AM

I made a small quilt for a challenge contest. It fits pefectly on top of my washing machine so it is now a 'machine quilt'. My quilts cost on average $350 to make a double, so I don't usually give them away.

the old one 06-22-2012 03:45 AM

Charity quilts are my "hobby", last fall I put together another log cabin, using bright fabrics. My husband, who has vision problems, said it was the prettiest ever--it stayed, and I giftwrapped it for his Christmas gift. Charity begins at home, sometimes.

ccthomas 06-22-2012 04:30 AM

Sounds like Christmas shopping. When I hit the stores to do my shopping and carefully select for all my loved ones, I keep "buying way too much for ME."

mhollifiel 06-22-2012 04:47 AM

Every once in a while DH will like one my Project Linus quilt tops so much that he requests we keep that one. So I do! I don't feel bad since I give them so much of my stash and time. Currently have 48 tops to drop off (2 months work). I feel like my stash couldn't go to better recipients and I love to piece. Win-Win!

calicojoan 06-22-2012 04:55 AM

All the time! I can't part with them. My boys laugh about their inheritance. Between that and all my sewing machines, they are not looking forward to me going anywhere and them having to clean out the ole sewing room! :D

meanmom 06-22-2012 05:01 AM

I made a quilt for my parents for Christmas 2 years ago. If I could have gotten something else finished in time for Christmas I would not have given it to them. I told my mom this and she laughed. They have a sheet of paper with additions attached to their will. She added that I get their quilt to it. We laughed about it. I know my brothers and sisters would have given it to me anyway.

quiltymom 06-22-2012 05:23 AM

Yes I have a couple I made and had to remake because I fell in love with them.As someone stated there ours til we send them off.