Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever kept a quilt instead of giving/donating? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-kept-quilt-instead-giving-donating-t192304.html)

LavenderBlue 06-20-2012 10:01 AM

Have you ever kept a quilt instead of giving/donating?

I must be in my second childhood. Have started making small doll quilts for a charity group's Christmas gifts. The first one I made turned out so striking, that I can't bring myself to give it away. It is black/lime greens...with some frog fussy cuts. This is crazy....why do I need a doll quilt? Can you share a story if this has happened to you? P.S. I'm finishing up the second one....it is quite cute, but I don't mind sending it on it's way.

Christine- 06-20-2012 10:44 AM

Keep it for a table runner and enjoy it! It's like giving yourself a hug.

BellaBoo 06-20-2012 11:24 AM

It's your quilt until you give it away. You might change your mind later but for now it's yours to enjoy. I do the same with items I make for a swap. I end up keeping many of them for myself.

jcrow 06-20-2012 11:35 AM

I totally understand. I gave a quilt to my brother and everytime I see it, I wish I had kept it. I have given most of my quilts away and am fine with it, but that one quilt I really wish I had kept. I'm thinking about giving him a bigger, manlier quilt and seeing if he'll exchange it. Hopefully, he will. He's not the type that gets attached to things.

Raggiemom 06-20-2012 11:38 AM

If I've already promised it to someone, then I give it to them. Otherwise, if I really like it, I would keep it.

21quilter 06-20-2012 12:19 PM

I had a really cute cat fabric (super bright colors....orange, lime green, blue, etc). I just bought the fabric because I loved it. Decided to use it instead of it sitting in my stash. I was thinking that it would be a donated quilt but dd saw it and wanted it. She felt guilty because I was thinking of donating it. Told her not to worry, I can always make another to donate.

If you love it and would enjoy it, I say keep it. Us quilters are such giving people that it will work itself out in the end!

chairjogger 06-20-2012 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- (Post 5303491)
Keep it for a table runner and enjoy it! It's like giving yourself a hug.

you have a good heart. and time to make another one.. with just as much effort.. enjoy .. you will take time for one to donate.

good luck on your next project !

Ell

GrannieAnnie 06-20-2012 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue (Post 5303392)
I must be in my second childhood. Have started making small doll quilts for a charity group's Christmas gifts. The first one I made turned out so striking, that I can't bring myself to give it away. It is black/lime greens...with some frog fussy cuts. This is crazy....why do I need a doll quilt? Can you share a story if this has happened to you? P.S. I'm finishing up the second one....it is quite cute, but I don't mind sending it on it's way.

I usually give my work away--------one way or another. HOWEVER! I just finished up a ship some navy/royal/blue mottled fabric. The sails were in a moire white on white print, and the hull was a piece of brown/tan/blue that I had just a bit of but loved. I laid it on my couch to look at it, and try to decide where it's going.

TO ME! The fabrics are a perfect match for my couch. It's a small square quilt, but it covers my feet and looks great on the couch.

quiltsRfun 06-20-2012 12:39 PM

Just about every quilt I've made DH says, "I like it. You should keep it." But I've gone ahead and given them to the intended person. However I have a couple I'm working on right now - no intended recipients - that I might have a hard time parting with. ;)

auntpiggylpn 06-20-2012 12:53 PM

I have loved every quilt I have made BUT they were not made for me! Always a reason I am making it! I have never kept anything I have made, quilt wise. I have been guilty that if I find that I really like the fabrics in a quilt I am gifting, I will go and buy more of the fabric and tuck it away for me! It is my promise to myself that this year I am making a quilt just for ME!