Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever participated in this kind of project? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-participated-kind-project-t96580.html)

Momofthree 02-03-2011 08:08 PM

I have only been to one quilting store and have not heard anything about this idea. If they did offer something like that there I would participate.

quilt1950 02-03-2011 08:22 PM

I did it once. $5.00 to start, different block every month, didn't pay more if you kept up. Given a choice of 2 color schemes up front. This was offered twice each month, and you could attend either session, so it wasn't too difficult to attend the 'class'. It did introduce me to some of the gadgets available, although I didn't buy them. And also got a few pointers on block construction.

But -- my completed blocks are just that -- blocks. I have yet to sew them together. Another UFO.

b.zang 02-03-2011 08:26 PM

Never heard of this, but it's an interesting concept.
An LQS I know of offers free fabric once a week if you stay in the shop and sew it into a quilt. They donate the quilts to the shelter.

Jan in VA 02-03-2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
To me it is jsut a gimmic to get you to buy (a vaction condo) just for thier new products or old ones they are trying to get rid of. Maybe you will have fun doing this as if thier fabrics turn out free would be a good thing.

Please don't call creative attempts to entice customers into one's store a "gimmick." These LQS don't self support, you know. The sale of their merchandise pays the bills....and doesn't often provide much real income on top of that for the owners, either!

This BOM sales technique in several formats has been around for a bit over a decade and was wildly popular for shops and customers when it began. For us personally, it was a way to demonstrate a new product that may not have been sold in our area before or may have just very recently come on the market. Those customers who bought it that morning of the block/demo received a 10% discount on it, but they were also invited to come for the BOM and make no other purchase.

In most small LQS, I ask you, HOW else can you get demonstrations of new things to the customers, expand on the inventory and keep things fresh in the shop?

Your local grocery store has "taste testing demos" all the time; do we resent THEM? This sort of thing is simply good business, "marketing".

I, too, am really worried about the cost of goods for our art these days, but expecting a LQS to survive on "air" and no paying customers is a bit far-fetched. Visit these demos when you can, you might actually learn a thing or two and enjoy the energy and company of like minds on that day!

Jan in VA

luckylindy333 02-03-2011 08:54 PM

I am going to one at Ben Franklin on Saturday. My DM wanted to go to a Block of the Month, so we found this one. It is $25.00 initially. I don't mind because they have good fabric and I want them to stay in business. It will be a chance to meet more quilters, too.

This is in Monroe, WA. is anyone else going to this? It started in January, so we missed a month, but I am sure we are going to get caught up. It is going to be 30's and 40's fabrics.

luckylindy333 02-03-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by koko
One of the Quilt Shops is offering a monthly project where you pay for the first block pattern and fabric to make it....if you bring it back completed the next month you receive a different block with fabric for free. You must also stay a few minutes to listen to instructions and about new products in the shop.This goes on for 9 months. There doesn't seem to be a completed quilt to show at this time and I don't think they plan to show it....maybe more of a mystery? If you have participated in something like this could you share your experiences about how it ran and if you knew more about what the complete project was going to look like before you enrolled?

All the ones I have been to before show you a finished quilt. I still think it is a very good deal.

marilynr 02-03-2011 09:50 PM

I did one where it was $5.00 the first month/block & they gave us one fabric piece. No charge for each additional month if you finished it & did "show & tell", which I enjoyed.
It was to test out a new pattern so it helped them & us.
I enjoyed the group experience very much & always learned new things. The LQS was exceptional, but unfortunately closed.
Miss it.

patricej 02-04-2011 02:52 AM

if the procedures are explained clearly and in detail from the beginning ...

if there are no hidden costs that will suprise and bite you in the wallet at some future point ...

if you like the fabrics ...

if it will be fun ...

if it fits your budget ...

then it isn't a gimmick. the shop is taking the bigger financial risk. unless they ask you to sign a contract up front, they can't be sure you will buy the finishing kit from them, so they are risking their cost of the supplies for the second through last block. they might make back that cost by attracting you to other things they have for sale, or for the finishing kit. they might not.

a program like this puts the customer in control. (well ... if it could be said that quilters have any control at all over our urge to spend on fabric and supplies. but that's another topic altogether. :lol: )

from a consumer's perspective, it sounds quite tempting. :-)

lots2do 02-04-2011 05:42 AM

I'm doing one. It's a Frog quilt with hand embroidery. I wasn't tempted at first, couldn't think of what I'd do with the end result but decided to join in for the fun of it. Ours is $5.00 a month. You get a package with the fabrics cut out and the directions. Every month, it's the same charge and they won't care if you just collect them and sew them later. Some of us get together at the shop on Sunday afternoons for a free sit and sew so I may work on that then.

Zebra2 02-04-2011 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
To me it is jsut a gimmic to get you to buy (a vaction condo) just for thier new products or old ones they are trying to get rid of. Maybe you will have fun doing this as if thier fabrics turn out free would be a good thing.

Please don't call creative attempts to entice customers into one's store a "gimmick." These LQS don't self support, you know. The sale of their merchandise pays the bills....and doesn't often provide much real income on top of that for the owners, either!

This BOM sales technique in several formats has been around for a bit over a decade and was wildly popular for shops and customers when it began. For us personally, it was a way to demonstrate a new product that may not have been sold in our area before or may have just very recently come on the market. Those customers who bought it that morning of the block/demo received a 10% discount on it, but they were also invited to come for the BOM and make no other purchase.

In most small LQS, I ask you, HOW else can you get demonstrations of new things to the customers, expand on the inventory and keep things fresh in the shop?

Your local grocery store has "taste testing demos" all the time; do we resent THEM? This sort of thing is simply good business, "marketing".

I, too, am really worried about the cost of goods for our art these days, but expecting a LQS to survive on "air" and no paying customers is a bit far-fetched. Visit these demos when you can, you might actually learn a thing or two and enjoy the energy and company of like minds on that day!

Jan in VA

Well said. As a former LQS (gone broke) owner, AND a LA quilter who appreciates quilting quilt tops made of LQS quality fabric, I appreciate and support LQSs.