Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever participated in this kind of project? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-participated-kind-project-t96580.html)

koko 02-03-2011 07:27 PM

One of the Quilt Shops is offering a monthly project where you pay for the first block pattern and fabric to make it....if you bring it back completed the next month you receive a different block with fabric for free. You must also stay a few minutes to listen to instructions and about new products in the shop.This goes on for 9 months. There doesn't seem to be a completed quilt to show at this time and I don't think they plan to show it....maybe more of a mystery? If you have participated in something like this could you share your experiences about how it ran and if you knew more about what the complete project was going to look like before you enrolled?

bjeriann 02-03-2011 07:35 PM

I'm doing one now thru my LQS. It's Marti Michele's American Beauty. I paid $10.00 to start and as long as I bring my block completed to the next meeting, the next block is free. If I miss a meeting or haven't finished the block, I pay $5.00. Later I do have to pay for the sashing kit. I'm not sure how much that is. I like doing it like that.

frugalfabrics 02-03-2011 07:35 PM

Yes, I've done many Block of the Month (BOMs)...I paid $5 for the first block, and as long as I showed up on the day(s) in each of the following months and showed my completed block, then I got the next one free. At the end of the year I had 12 blocks. They usually try and sell you the finishing kit for it once you have all the blocks done.

Our LQS showed us the full pattern up front so we knew what we were making. We got to choose from a variety of patterns. I think they usually had 4or 5 different ones going at the same time...so it would suit everyone's style.

scowlkat 02-03-2011 07:36 PM

I did something similar where you paid $10 and got a block kit. Then each month if you came in on the designated day to listen to what they had new in the shop or new products, you got another kit for a block. By the end of the year, you had 12 blocks big enough to make a twin quilt. If you did not come in on the designated day, you could still get the block kit, but had to pay $5 or $6. But we did know before hand what the final product would look like.

frugalfabrics 02-03-2011 07:39 PM

I only bought their finishing kit once...all the other times, I used the blocks and made my own style quilt with them.

You don't need the finishing kit - they are usually really high priced. And I agree with Stewy...they are usually trying to entice you to buy something new.

I went in their every month and picked up my block and left...never purchased anything from them...but lots of ladies were lined up at the counter spending $$$$$

amma 02-03-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
Yes, I've done many Block of the Month (BOMs)...I paid $5 for the first block, and as long as I showed up on the day(s) in each of the following months and showed my completed block, then I got the next one free. At the end of the year I had 12 blocks. They usually try and sell you the finishing kit for it once you have all the blocks done.

Our LQS showed us the full pattern up front so we knew what we were making. We got to choose from a variety of patterns. I think they usually had 4or 5 different ones going at the same time...so it would suit everyone's style.

This is how the one I was in was run, too :D:D:D

bj 02-03-2011 07:43 PM

I've done one like described above. Buy the first block for $5, make the block and get the next for a dollar. If you don't get the block made, the next one is $5. They had the quilt up to see before they started. I'm doing another one this year that requires applique', which is definitely NOT my thing. But I liked the finished quilt and I need to make myself work out of my comfort zone. Maybe curves and Y-seams will be following close behind?

Boscobd 02-03-2011 08:06 PM

I participated in one (they called it "Blockbusters") a couple of years ago. It went for a full year and at the last session they gave ideas for finishing the quilt. I think it cost $5 for the first block and if you brought the completed block from the previous month for the next installment, you got the fabrics for the current block free. It was a lot of fun and I managed to make every session so my 12 blocks cost me $5. It did get a bit taxing after a while tho - making sure that the I was free to go to the meeting on the first Saturday of every month for an entire year.

LucyInTheSky 02-03-2011 08:07 PM

I did 2 where it was $5 to start, $5 for any missed month. I ended up paying about $15 total for each, including the starter fee. Then one LQS switched to $2 start/missed and giving you 2 pieces of fabric. You then used your stash to fill in the rest. It was okay, but I couldn't keep up with it. The other LQS switched to where you had to pay every month and just had to pay more if you didn't finish.

My feeling is that I either don't want to be penalized at all (so where you pay for the whole club and just show up when you can) or if I do complete the block, I want to get the next one free. Not pay less. That's not fun for me. And also the I have to make a block now or else mentality isn't fun either

LucyInTheSky 02-03-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
I participated in one (they called it "Blockbusters") a couple of years ago. It went for a full year and at the last session they gave ideas for finishing the quilt. I think it cost $5 for the first block and if you brought the completed block from the previous month for the next installment, you got the fabrics for the current block free. It was a lot of fun and I managed to make every session so my 12 blocks cost me $5. It did get a bit taxing after a while tho - making sure that the I was free to go to the meeting on the first Saturday of every month for an entire year.

Heh, we're talking about the same one!